Fisher 1280X any good?

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Excellent machine for fresh water. Not worth anything in the saltwater. I brought mine here to Hawaii and it's sitting in a closet. CZ-21 or Excal, I use a White's PI Pro but I'm watching the new White's dual frequency as it has a spider coil. SO NO to the 1280-X in Saltwater.. Good Luck.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, the 1280 sucks in saltwater or even on the wet sand. It is easy to use though and built like a tank, but this isn't any good if it isn't stable. Very good on batteries.

OP
OP
H

hix1895

Jun 2, 2008
thanks guys, I think I'm going to keep looking around. This is a big decision!

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
Consider a Tesoro Tigershark or Sandshark, they have lifetime warranties and are in the $5-600 range shipped. Or, maybe a used excal, I saw one went on ebay recently for ~5 bills, IIRC.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear that it is bad on salt water but I know a guy that hunts with one and he is runing circles around everyone else. I am talking this guy pulled out 4 rings last weekend when 4 of us just had disgusted looks and a handful of trash. I swear the machine is tweaked for gold somehow, because of the finds he makes. Its like he steps into the water and the gold just floats to him. I have never seen anything like it before.
He has been detecting since I was a wee one so experience has something to do with it as well. I believe he could take a stick out in the water and still out do me.

OP
OP
H

hix1895

Jun 2, 2008
thanks guys for your help, I have been doing alot of reading and it seems that everyone likes Whites Surfmaster pi pro and Garrett Sea hunter mark II? they are about the same price. what you all think?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do the nail and gold ring test. This is the test that sold me on the Excalibur. Any other brand of detector, pass a nail and gold ring under the coil and 9 times out of 10, the detector will discriminate the nail and ring. Excalibur doesn't recognize iron so nail is ignored and the gold ring will sound off. ;D
This was the selling point for my Minelab Excalibur that I've owned since 1991. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

hix1895

Jun 2, 2008
Minelab Excalibur does sound good, but the price is a liitle to high for me. and I don't like the battery charger, I like the just butting in batterys and go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread