gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If I could get a heck of a deal on a cz5 I would jump on it. Study the manual and do some air and ground testing. You will know if its in working order in short order. I hope it works, its a great machine and very capable.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yesterday morning, sunrise! My CZ5, torn up parkways. A couple silvers, many wheats a lot of clad.
I would do a one block stretch with the CZ5/8" coil, then go over it with the F70/5" coil. Today if I get out there again I'm reversing the machine/coil combos using the CZ5/5" coil and the F70/11" DD.

The only real difference is the CZ5 goes deeper and doesn't get chatty in the cinder and rust zones like the F70 does. Later yesterday we hit a wheatie field and the CZ5 was getting clear, crisp signals to the limit of coin depths I encountered there, 10". Yep, take that deal and run with it!

Attachments

• Highlamd.jpg
    Highlamd.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,705
OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
wow...so I got it at a "steal"... I think...$125 bucks! went over my brotheres yard with it ,found stuff that my el cheapo didnt! Just having a hard time doing the ground balance thing and what to set all those aircraft gidgits and gadgets at... ;D

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CZ5 can hang with any of the new machines in depth but loves deep nails. Great machine and yes that was a steal!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Wow! $125 is an awesome price for one of the deepest rigs ever made! In the last few days mine has pulled more than a few silvers out of that street work for me and a lot of wheaties. Most all of them in that noisy ground up cinder under the sidewalks and along the edges of these parkways.

Your ground balance is one of the easyiest settings and yes, this machine will find deep coins with minimum settings. Crank up the volume, keep power between 6 and 10. Note where the pinpoint indicates the target. If it is not right on the spot where the beeps happen, it may be a nail or a coin on edge.

Have fun!

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Thanks!!!...so I set the sensitivity to5-6? Then the ground to what?I have been reading the manuall over and over,but just like to hear it from real users..what do you guys put the Disc setting on?If I leave it on "auto tone" it seems to find "EVERYTHING"...lol I found a piece of a nail at about 9 inches,and joker was singing like a found the titanic..... :laughing9:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not watched the video, so this may be a repeat, but my favorite is bobbing in autotune while adjusting the gb knob. This is easy and takes me 5 seconds to do. Make sure there is no metal within 2 feet. In my opinion, a bad choice of sensitivity is a worse mistake than a bad gb.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
gleaner1 said:
I have not watched the video, so this may be a repeat, but my favorite is bobbing in autotune while adjusting the gb knob. This is easy and takes me 5 seconds to do. Make sure there is no metal within 2 feet. In my opinion, a bad choice of sensitivity is a worse mistake than a bad gb.

Ditto. GB is less a factor in most of my hunting with the CZ than sense too high or having the big coil on. GB does come into play when I want really deep work with my big coil in areas where the ground is fairly clean and the targets way down there.

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
so is the disc on mine just a stock one??anyone know?Is there upgradable disc I can get for this, or is the one I got a good one...thanks fellas!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Mr.Jody said:
so is the disc on mine just a stock one??anyone know?Is there upgradable disc I can get for this, or is the one I got a good one...thanks fellas!!

By "disc" do you mean coil?

The disc is simple on all CZ's, either graduated or notched but it is a function, not a physical component.

I'm pretty sure the white coils represent the earliest model CZ5's. While these had less EMF shielding than the later black coils, they worked real good. There are OEM coils available in 5" and 10.5" and one aftermarket coil, the FZ? coil from Sunray which I think is 12".

Check that Ebay place, put Fisher Metal Detector in the search box and see what pops up.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a Fisher CZ-5, wished I still had it. Best damn nickel machine out there! If it locks on nickel.....DIG IT! Also if it locks on zinc cent, 3 inches or deeper...DIG IT! It'll be I.H. cent or extremely old wheat that is starting to turn green.......Just like I turn green when I see someone using one.......NGE

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Im still having a little trouble GB'ing it, but I know one thing, this joker goes deep!..and thanks for that lil tip there Nowgettin,but most of the time I dig everything when im not in a hurry..

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Mr. Jody!!

I have used my CZ 5 since the mid 90's and it is one great machine!! Great on silver!! It doesn't let me down!

To ground balance the machine using the pinpoint button, raise the coil about a foot off the ground with the ground set at 10, while holding the pinpoint button with your thumb. When you lower the coil at ground level start moving the Ground from 10 to 1. When you hear a slight audio tone, just back it off a little to the point where u don't hear the sound, release the pinpoint button, and your unit will be then Ground Balanced.

There is a trick to tell if your target is deep iron or a good target. The trick is to swing your coil from different directions by walking around the target as you do so. If it disappears at any point, it will probably be iron. I am rarely wrong when identifying targets using this method. Still I dig it to make sure..but it almost always turns out to be iron as I suspect it is. Just take your time and get to know this great detector.. I also have the 5 inch coil..and it works awesome with the CZ5. Get one if you can get your hands on one..you wont' regret it!! Good luck with your machine!

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
The more I use it the more I'm understanding it...was going to sell it, thought it was to "high tech" for me....LOL
THANKS for the tip newfiehunter.. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions