Fishing for Silver- Fish On!s CRH Log

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My town has three national banks with two having three branches and the third just one branch. We also have three regional banks.

I pickup from Garda and Brinks and dump into Loomis. I have to roll all my coins since the only coin counting machine in town cut me off after they decided they didn't like coin roll hunters (it was disappointing).

I actually have had pretty limited luck with my boxes in general (no amazing boxes as of yet). My dump banks are pretty annoyed by me even though I'm just dropping off $500 in halves once every three weeks from their perspective. I get better luck from road trips. I keep going with the 1-2 boxes a week but don't see how I can increase my volume in this area without getting cutoff left and right.

Just a small town perspective on the hobby.

zobar

Mar 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys
i was just reading some this and not sure what your doing are you buying boxes of coins from the bank and how do I go about doing this. how much is in a box.
Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys
i was just reading some this and not sure what your doing are you buying boxes of coins from the bank and how do I go about doing this. how much is in a box.
Thanks

Go to the main CRH forum and read the "Beginners" sticky thread at the top. It should have all the information you need in it.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys
Thanks

This isn't a thread to ask beginner questions, please check the beginner's guide and ask questions there. It's a sticky thread.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm slowly getting back into the hunt. Unfortunately, I've run into a bunch of weak boxes. My competition must have started dumping like crazy into my supply while I took a few week hiatus. No worries, though, I'll slowly but surely bury them in clad.....

Picked up 4 boxes today:

Box 1: 2x40%
Box 2: skunk
Box 3: skunk
Box 4: skunk (this box did have 9 proofs in it which is probably a personal best. Still a skunk box though)

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 more boxes today. 4 more skunks. 7 box skunk streak. That's the longest skunk streak I have had in quite a while. I have four more boxes coming in on Friday. Hopefully they are better. They couldn't be any worse.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today may have been the weirdest set of boxes I have ever gotten. I picked up 4 boxes of halves today. Upon inspection they looked exactly like the same skunky boxes I have been getting for the last few pickups. No enders, same characteristics of coins, etc. Today was definitely more about quality than quantity, but after the skunks I have have been getting I am quite happy with the results:

Box 1: skunk
Box 2: skunk
Box 3: 1xwalker
Box 4: 1xwash 90% comm. 2x40%(1 was a 1970)

The oddest part was box 4. I ended up getting a 2000 ecuadorian half, the wash comm., and the 1970 all in one roll. It was easily the best roll of halves I have ever gotten. I've gotten 3 or 4 silvers in one roll before, but a silver commemorative and a 1970 in one roll has to outdo that. Anyway, I'm hoping that good roll is a sign of a major collection dump coming down the pike. I miss the really good boxes I was getting a couple months ago.

weird.jpg

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better day today.

Box 2: 5x90%(64's) 4x40%
Box 3: 2x40%
Box 4: skunk

It's good to be finding silver again.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
I just started crh Last week. I picked up 14 rolls of halves. Found 2 1968's in one roll and a 1964 in another roll. Pretty excited for my first buy. I ordered a box from my credit union that will be here next week. I do have a question. How and where do you dump your non keepers?

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started crh Last week. I picked up 14 rolls of halves. Found 2 1968's in one roll and a 1964 in another roll. Pretty excited for my first buy. I ordered a box from my credit union that will be here next week. I do have a question. How and where do you dump your non keepers?

I dump them in coin counters. That's what I find to be easiest. Good luck. Sounds like you are off to a good start

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good boxes today.

Box 1: 1x90%(ken) 7x40%
Box 2: 6x40%
Box 3: 5x40%

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice...seems like your boxes are doing well.

Yes, they have been up and down a little and not nearly as good as they were at the end of the summer, but I've been very happy with them. Good luck to you. Glad to see you are starting to have some good finds.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add Wednesday's boxes:

Box 1: 4x90%(1 walker, 1 ben, 2 kens) 6x40%
Box 2: skunks
Box 3: Skunk

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday's 4 boxes:

Box 2: 2x40%(1 was a 1970D, that's my fifth from boxes)
Box 3: skunk

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended up with a lot of boxes yesterday, so I didn't have time to keep track of the box by box break down. I searched 12 boxes and only one was a skunk.

5x90%(2 walkers, 1 ben, 2 kens) 22x40%

I also got my first ever Bicentennial 40% proof. I have a couple of the silver business strikes, but this was my first '76 silver proof. Good day, the silver was spread through the boxes.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice grab fish on!, this week for me I did 5 half dollar boxes and netted 1 40%. I'd take a day like yours any day! and great walker ratio to 90% :)

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing...fishon has the silver magic touch or there are a bunch of people in his region who dump silver halves at banks for face value.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I think I'm slightly lucky, but I think it's more about ordering as much volume as I can and moving the dumps to a different carrier. If you notice, it took a little while after my hiatus to start getting decent finds again. You just have to consistently out dump the others that are dumping in your supplier to the point where they get discouraged. I wish I could get back up to 20+ boxes a week again, but that just isn't possible for me right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread