What's new

Fishing weights?

Clovis4343

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2021
Messages
72
Reaction score
567
Golden Thread
0
Location
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone know how to age fishing sinkers/weights? I have found hundreds of hand made fishing weights over the past few summers and I'm always wondering how old they are.
 

Attachments

  • 20210829_090254~2.webp
    20210829_090254~2.webp
    528.6 KB · Views: 171
... those look like rocks with holes in them with a few Omar’s and a couple miscellaneous specimens. There is soo much to look at in your pic it’s hard to tell but everything looks natural or made by Mother Nature.
The fishing weights that I’m familiar with all have grooves not holes.
 
Nice finds! Are these lead? I see a couple hem weights in there too I think!
PS. Welcome to TNet!!
 
I see a whole pile of lead!
Are they all from the same water site/area-or from different water systems-lakes, rivers, ocean?

Couple of hem weights as Lenrac2 noted and lots of homemade/cottage made.

What I find strange why are you coming across so many of these types, than commercial made weights that are often shown in recoveries?
 
Everything in the picture is lead definitely nothing natural ..if u look close alot of the holes are made with what I'm thinking are square nails
 
All the weights are from the same stream but it's from about 3 different spots
 
Awesome finds!! Love old lead!! But wash up after handling them. Still not good for you!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom