What's new

Fitting end to the year in the seated field

toasted

Silver Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
3,452
Reaction score
14,367
Golden Thread
5
Location
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug about four targets in an hour in the field that has been so good to me since discovering it in January. Dug around 20 seated silvers this year and all but two came from this field. Finds have slowed way down here but Ive continued to stick with it and make a good find once in awhile. This is my third CC dime and second from here. Half of all the seated dug from here have been 1876 or 1877 as well. I will probably never again find a spot so loaded with 19th century coinage
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0508.webp
    IMG_0508.webp
    157.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0510.webp
    IMG_0510.webp
    153.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0511.webp
    IMG_0511.webp
    182.5 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 34
Hi Whadi; I knew you were jesting.

TOASTED; Are you making suure the foil is making contact with the coin after you pour the salt on it and then fold it?? Are you pouring enough vinegar in to completely cover the coin ?? Did you use a toothpick to GENTLY push the dirt off ?? Maybe let it soak longer each time like 40 minutes ok. No longer or you might pit the coin.
Whadi suggested different soil conditions. Thing is I've dug silver coins from beaches, parks, farms, deep woods etc and they all come clean via this process. Don't skimp on the salt and cover the coin completely with Vinegar ok. It may take as many as 6 times to finally get it finished. That was the worst encrusted coin I ever dug from a Colonial Stage Coach Route. They are usually done by 2X. I guaranty it works ok. Do it in a small plastic bowl not a metal one and change the tin foil "EVERY" time. Let us know. PEACE:RONB :icon_scratch:

I gave your method a second try with much better results
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0513.webp
    IMG_0513.webp
    894.9 KB · Views: 74
What a way to finish the field. Man I hope someday to find a "Seated" field like yours. Congrats on the great season toasted. :occasion14:
 
Get sat down!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom