Five pounds of 250 Year Old? Rusted Mystery

zzdust

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a Revolutionary War site my buddy left behind this beauty:

BAR 1.jpg

I picked it up the next day and took it home cuz I am famliar with the rust formation. It's identical to past finds I've made from the 1700's around here - old well hooks and other hand-forged pig iron.

But I wonder what this was...? If it can be traced to a piece of military equipment (so far, cannon parts don't match) that would tell us something important.

It was by a stream, close to a lead musket ball and an old ceramic whiskey jug.

You guys were amazing deciphering the old lightning rod, now you've got a real test...

Thanks in advance!

ZZ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, clean it up and it might start revealing its secret.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have electrolysis, try soaking in apple cider vinegar for about a week. I've had great results with that method.

OP
OP
Z

zzdust

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have electrolysis, try soaking in apple cider vinegar for about a week. I've had great results with that method.

Hey cool, Grant!

Thanks - will give it a try - got a gallon of it in the kitchen.

ZZ

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey cool, Grant!

Thanks - will give it a try - got a gallon of it in the kitchen.

ZZ

Yeah, I almost suggested the same method - I'm a big proponent of using vinegar, but thought these looked like the electrolysis might be faster. Whatever works! The vinegar doesn't take as much "maintenance" - you can just plop it in there and forget about it for a few days. Works great for me.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
The Vinegar Method works for me for most artifacts. Keep an eye on it though. You don't want to ruin a piece of history.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Z

zzdust

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I love it. You can check on the item every day or couple of days, see if the rust starts to crumble off as you rub it.

First picture on this post shows a before/after of a rusted lynchpin I found. Looks great now!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...our-dig-possible-rev-belt-buckle-updated.html

Jeepers, Grant - that is AWESOME...I was totally convinced this thing was pure rust (and maybe is...?) but will post the before and after when I get my results.

Thanks again

ZZ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread