What's new

???????? flattened coin?

pistol-pete

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2012
Messages
644
Reaction score
761
Golden Thread
0
Location
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this flattened coin? in this old mining area. It is silver and about 1 5/8" x 1" and 30 thousands thick. Can read a few letters on it, but I can not relate these to coins I know about. Any thought would be welcome. Possibly foreign. Please let your thoughts run wild. Thanks in advance. IMG_0330.webpIMG_0359.webp
 
Almost looks like Spanish lettering. Train track coin made into jewelry ? That's an odd one
 
Upvote 0
1st pic may say "meri" as in America, maybe Barber. ??? I agree probably track flattened and holed.
 
Upvote 0
I think it was a Reale.

Notice the smeared "D * R" in the lower left here.
 

Attachments

  • Reale.webp
    Reale.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 390
Upvote 0
I was about to say similar, like at the bottom of this the “D(dot)REX” portion looks pretty close:
5239F9CE-0177-4F33-BE5D-73C0F39BA07D.webp
 
Upvote 0
Can't help with the ID, but I wonder if you could weight it, add back in the calculated dimensional loss for the drilled hole, then add a couple percent to the total to account for the wear and tear of the train tracks (or whatever flattened this baby), and thus arrive at the original weight of the coin.

And then of course the big question: would knowing that information help ID the coin? :dontknow:

Interesting find, and of course... silver! :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Talk about 'stretching your money' in hard times... sorry I couldn't resist Pete! :laughing9:

Maybe a one reale? :icon_scratch:

Dave
 
Upvote 0
Maybe it was going to be a concho many of them were made from coins.

coin.webp
 
Upvote 0
It also struck me as Indian reporpused ornamentation. Geronimo had two pounded out silver coins on his coat in the famous C S Fly photos.
 
Upvote 0
That’s a head scratcher
 
Upvote 0
That’s an awesome find! Congrats.
 
Upvote 0
Pretty cool for sure
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom