What's new

flint bird point?

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
3,465
Reaction score
2,997
Golden Thread
6
Location
CT
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
found this in a old field.i know it's flint but,is it a bird point? found in a field near the pequot and mohegen reservations in CT
 

Attachments

  • OCT 6TH FIELD HUNT WITH SNIFFY 006.webp
    OCT 6TH FIELD HUNT WITH SNIFFY 006.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 245
  • OCT 6TH FIELD HUNT WITH SNIFFY 011.webp
    OCT 6TH FIELD HUNT WITH SNIFFY 011.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 155
  • OCT 6TH FIELD HUNT WITH SNIFFY 012.webp
    OCT 6TH FIELD HUNT WITH SNIFFY 012.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 148
  • OCT 6TH FIELD HUNT WITH SNIFFY 013.webp
    OCT 6TH FIELD HUNT WITH SNIFFY 013.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 145
  • OCT 6TH FIELD HUNT WITH SNIFFY 018.webp
    OCT 6TH FIELD HUNT WITH SNIFFY 018.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 0
Yes, they're very often refered to as bird points. A true arrowhead, between ~1,100 and ~500 years old. Congratulations. For what it's worth, they're usually not isolated finds, if there's one almost certainly there are more.

Nice Barber dime and other MD finds as well.

Joe
 
Bird point...yeah, we spent most of our time in the old days just shootin birds. Just joking. 'Bird point' is a misnomer, the same size point could take down a buffalo or deer. I have seen some excavations where the same size point was embedded in human bone. Smaller points had better penetration and were a little easier to make than dart points or knives. Your point is cool. I do not see how it was attached to a shaft, so maybe it was used for something else or has been re-worked? Good find and Twitch is right, get back out to that spot and look around!
 
Bird point...yeah, we spent most of our time in the old days just shootin birds. Just joking. 'Bird point' is a misnomer, the same size point could take down a buffalo or deer. I have seen some excavations where the same size point was embedded in human bone. Smaller points had better penetration and were a little easier to make than dart points or knives. Your point is cool. I do not see how it was attached to a shaft, so maybe it was used for something else or has been re-worked? Good find and Twitch is right, get back out to that spot and look around!

i agree
it really works on me every time i hear "nice little bird point" or "good lookin' little birdie you found"
imagine a young brave arriving back to camp and telling his wife "honey i'm home with supper" as he is walking up with a sparrow in his hand
 
I found this piece interesting, because it's obviously worked but not worked real well. I really don't see it as a projectile point, arrowhead, dart point, or whatever. I'm not familiar with the culture in that part of the country; maybe they used it to cut tattoos into people. But I hope heavymetalnut gets back out there and looks that site over.
 
I found this piece interesting, because it's obviously worked but not worked real well. I really don't see it as a projectile point, arrowhead, dart point, or whatever. I'm not familiar with the culture in that part of the country; maybe they used it to cut tattoos into people. But I hope heavymetalnut gets back out there and looks that site over.
I agree looks like a broken tip. Middle picture break on the right.
 
I dont think its broken, probably a hamilton triangle or madison...cool stuff
 
I dont know...just seems too worked to be broken for me...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom