What's new

Flute?

BobGuy

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
331
Reaction score
830
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in a field. Would you consider this a flute or just a regular reduction flake? If not a flute, why not and what’s the difference between this and a flute? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1524694993.750920.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1524695010.413431.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1524695021.233286.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wow...i need to do some research on Indian artifacts. I was expecting a long tube with holes in it.
 
Wow...i need to do some research on Indian artifacts. I was expecting a long tube with holes in it.

Same here. I was like “man that would be a cool find. Wonder if it still works?”
 
A flute is a longitudinal scar left on a finished artifact on one or both sides. The flute is one of the last flakes removed. Your piece looks like a biface (preform) that broke during manufacture. Your piece has flake scars, but they are not flutes. Gary
 
I was wondering if it were a brass flute, wood or silver.....
 
A flute is a longitudinal scar left on a finished artifact on one or both sides. The flute is one of the last flakes removed. Your piece looks like a biface (preform) that broke during manufacture. Your piece has flake scars, but they are not flutes. Gary

Good description.

I would add that a flute is an intentional action not a random accident, usually made with a type of platform (nipple) that takes some set up. Occasionally you'll see a much later point, or a much smaller point with a flake that runs up from the base, those are usually just pressure flakes or simple strikes that made something that resembles a flute.
 
What happens when you blow on it?:laughing7:
 
I've seen 2 flutes from Ft. Ancient sites in Ohio. They look like they were made from a bird bone. I think Grim has found a few as well. Maybe he will post the pics?
 
Good description.

I would add that a flute is an intentional action not a random accident, usually made with a type of platform (nipple) that takes some set up. Occasionally you'll see a much later point, or a much smaller point with a flake that runs up from the base, those are usually just pressure flakes or simple strikes that made something that resembles a flute.

Thanks for the explanation guys! This is why I love this forum!

BG
 
What happens when you blow on it?:laughing7:

The weird thing is that if you put it on a warm surface in the sun it actually plays itself.. it sounds like that flute music you hear when you go to a Native American museum.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom