Flying with detector fears

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
So I have read the threads on here about flying with the detector, and there seems to be three styles. Carry on the expensive electronics/coil and pack the rest in checked bags, carry the whole thing on (broken down), or check it all.

Despite hearing no problems, every time I look at my minelab excal electronics, I cant help but think.."man this looks like a damn explosive device".

Has anyone "recently" flown and can they tell me about their experience. I am going to the caribbean and really want to bring my detector but just feel im gonna get hassled by the tsa.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the couple times I've flown, I've carried mine with no problems except the stewardess wanted to put it up front with the strollers. The other time the TSA guy wanted me to "make it work" handed him the manual and plugged in the coil and swept him. Told him "See? mines better than yours". I have a minelab sticker on both sides of the case and as others have said put a copy of the manual inside so it's the first thing they see when you case is opened. Hope that helps you!

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
the couple times I've flown, I've carried mine with no problems except the stewardess wanted to put it up front with the strollers. The other time the TSA guy wanted me to "make it work" handed him the manual and plugged in the coil and swept him. Told him "See? mines better than yours". I have a minelab sticker on both sides of the case and as others have said put a copy of the manual inside so it's the first thing they see when you case is opened. Hope that helps you!

So you had the detector in a separate case? My idea was to just pack the coil/box in my carry on and everything else in luggage. Meaning i don't have a separate case to put a sticker on :)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just break it down and pack it in your checked luggage. Do Not put the batteries in it. You will NOT have any problems. :skullflag:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you had the detector in a separate case? My idea was to just pack the coil/box in my carry on and everything else in luggage. Meaning i don't have a separate case to put a sticker on :)
Yeah, I've got a modified straight shaft that won't fit in my carryon. I'd prefer to keep it with me than put parts in a bag that the baggage handlers have control over.

NOTE - 99% of suit case zippers can be opened and closed with nothing more than an ink pen without leaving ANY trace. If you own a Samsonite or American Tourister bag or suitcase, there are only three keys needed to open any of them. Throw away the lock that came with it & use something like a baby master keyed not combo lock. One of my buddies carries a document with him that basically states that whoever takes custody of his detector will give him a $2000 deposit and pay the full price if it is lost or damages if it is damaged. It's a blast to watch him carry his case into a store and they get that I don't know what to do look while calling the manager to come say it's ok. :laughing7: You should be OK with it just don't remark yours is better than TSAs, they get the testy look when you want to have a little fun with it:tongue3:

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Just break it down and pack it in your checked luggage. Do Not put the batteries in it. You will NOT have any problems. :skullflag:

Honestly, I don't want to pack the electronics as I don't trust baggage handlers to not steal the damn thing. Minelab coil is attached to the electronics too, so ill try carry on first and see where that goes

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I brought mine with me to Puerto Rico this year. I opted to take the Ace 250 instead of the AT Pro, but a girl I work with said that her mom works at the airport and they get that question all the time. They prefer that you put it in your checked baggage. I didn't have any problems, but i did tuck it in between stuff to keep it better hidden.

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I just started working for the TSA I guess I should add my two cents. Just pack it in checked baggage. Simple. Just make sure that you provide some cushioning for it, such as some styrofoam from the original box, or even loose clothing will do. Don't be like the lady that packs 20 bottles of wine in her checked bag with no cushioning for all that glass. Life punishes stupidity. If you're concerned about theft, baggage handlers at your local airport have to go through a security clearance to even get the position, so 99.9% of them are not going to steal your stuff (I can't speak for airports outside the US). If you're still concerned about it, you can buy a TSA approved lock (these locks usually have a small diamond logo on them). If you lock your luggage with a another type of lock that you own and your bag is flagged by TSA, those non-TSA approved locks will be coming off via bolt cutters.

You can pack it in a carry-on bag, but I advise not to. You might get held up depending on who is looking at your x-rayed bag. The TSA officer may not recognize that the bulky object in question is a metal detector. This will lead to a mandatory search of the bag in question. The process is painless but kind of annoying, as it can waste 5-10 minutes of your time and may require repacking of your carry-on bag. Also, if your carry-on bag is too big then a flight attendant might have to check the bag for you, and so it's still ending up with all the other checked bags.

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went to Hawaii a month ago and broke down my Excalibur and put it in my carry on. I use the double AA battery pack so I put that in my checked baggage along with my Explorer, my 4' travel scoop, my Garrett carrot, and spare batteries. No problems, I have done this many times over the last 10 years, only once was there a TSA inspection sticker on the checked bag. But don't put your jewelry or monetary finds in your checked bag. That would be too tempting for someone to steal. Have fun, Good luck!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I travel from New England to FL all the time and just pack it in my checked luggage. I leave some cushion space around it for the tarmac monsters in the baggage department. My bags have been opened by TSA and never had any problems. If you carry it on they might ask you to put in the batteries and give them a demo which is a pain when you trying to catch a flight.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Was in Cozumel last month. When we got home, I realized the checked in bag that I put my Vibra-Tector in, had no lock on it anymore. I know it was locked, so I opened it, and it had clearly been gone through. I'm guessing security, didn't know what it was so they opened it. At least it was still there, but damn, put the lock back on it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread