For all those who hoard copper cents....

ThatCopperSound

Dec 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ThatCopperSound said:
Are you guys in it for the quick flip or the long haul?

I am sitting on about $75 worth of face value copper and am debating whether or not to hold onto it (in the event that copper goes up this year or the melt ban gets lifted) or selling it on Craigslist and using the profit for silver.

I waited till I had over $1100 face. Had to stop, ran out of room. :( oh yea I also got a hernia from carrying all the zincers back to the bank.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just keep throwing them in the 5 gal buckets

spent 500 of them on a corbin s-press thats sitting next to them.

The way things are going I may need them to make copper bullets :wink:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
cyberdan said:
ThatCopperSound said:

I am sitting on about $75 worth of face value copper and am debating whether or not to hold onto it (in the event that copper goes up this year or the melt ban gets lifted) or selling it on Craigslist and using the profit for silver.

I waited till I had over $1100 face. Had to stop, ran out of room. :( oh yea I also got a hernia from carrying all the zincers back to the bank.

Did you sell yours? I got $125 face worth but they're rewrapped in rolls and put into their boxes. Probably ok to sit on if you don't need the money.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hold onto them right now. Copper is going back up so you want to keep them for a while. I can't guarantee that copper won't go back down again though. I'm in it for the long haul. I won't sell until my cents are worth 5-10X face. If I sell for any lower than that I'm losing money based on the amount of time I've spent collecting them.

F

Farchaus2k

mts said:
If I sell for any lower than that I'm losing money based on the amount of time I've spent collecting them.

+1
My thoughts exactly.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
long hall, i have about $200 face right now.

For the poster that has 5 gallon buckets. how many pounds do u think one of those will hold?

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
StevoCBR said:

For the poster that has 5 gallon buckets. how many pounds do u think one of those will hold?

I keep it to 120 lbs. or $178 face. 2- 60 lb. sandbags.
You can lift the buckets without ripping the handle off even though the bucket will hold more.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang:
Jeep said:
I just keep throwing them in the 5 gal buckets

spent 500 of them on a corbin s-press thats sitting next to them.

The way things are going I may need them to make copper bullets :wink:

OP
OP
T

ThatCopperSound

Dec 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will probably end up saving them.

At this point, I can not afford a complete Ryedale machine, however, I have read that you can purchase a Rydale Sniper. Has anybody had success with this? How much does it cost and how much faster does it make going through a box of cents?

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXTim said:
StevoCBR said:

I keep it to 120 lbs. or $178 face. 2- 60 lb. sandbags.
You can lift the buckets without ripping the handle off even though the bucket will hold more.
q

nice :thumbsup:

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
StevoCBR said:

More then I want to lift :laughing7:

IDK, but lets try the math :wink:

One cent has a weight of 3.11 grams
Composition .950 copper.
One gram = 0.03527 0z.

1,000 cents = $10.00
1,000 cents = 6.5128 pounds copper

About 30,000 cents in a 5 gal bucket give or take a couple thousand.

30x6.5128=195.384 pounds

So a couple hundred pounds would be my guess and I ain't moving em.
If I had to I would transfer them to those little gallon buckets my pool chemicals come in.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I've sold a few thousand face value in the past for about 1.4 to 1.6 cents per penny. Used feebay and CL, and then gathered some buyers and did future deals away from those sites. Right now just building back up though as prices are down some. I just recently went back over one ton of pennies in the garage. About 2,070 pounds right now and adding. Will start to sell again at about 1.5 cents per penny, when that happens. ;D

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ThatCopperSound said:

At this point, I can not afford a complete Ryedale machine, however, I have read that you can purchase a Rydale Sniper. Has anybody had success with this? How much does it cost and how much faster does it make going through a box of cents?

There is a video of someone using the Ryedale Sniper on youtube. Not very impressive. I can go much faster than that with my metal detector. And you can pick up a metal detector that works really well for sorting cents online for about $60 + shipping. Not only that, but when you are done you have a metal detector to fool around with. It won't be a top of the line metal detector but you will be able to find plenty of clad coinage with it (and maybe some silver and gold if you are really lucky). :wink:

To me, the biggest benefit of the regular Ryedale is the whole hopper/feeding system. That's what makes it well worth the money for people who want to do large volumes (like jrf30). If you have to feed cents in one at a time by hand (like with the Sniper) then there isn't much benefit to the machine in my opinion.

By the way, jrf30 is the KING of copper cent sorting/selling. You'd be very wise to listen to what he has to say. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
T

ThatCopperSound

Dec 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts said:
ThatCopperSound said:

There is a video of someone using the Ryedale Sniper on youtube. Not very impressive. I can go much faster than that with my metal detector. And you can pick up a metal detector that works really well for sorting cents online for about $60 + shipping. Not only that, but when you are done you have a metal detector to fool around with. It won't be a top of the line metal detector but you will be able to find plenty of clad coinage with it (and maybe some silver and gold if you are really lucky). :wink:

To me, the biggest benefit of the regular Ryedale is the whole hopper/feeding system. That's what makes it well worth the money for people who want to do large volumes (like jrf30). If you have to feed cents in one at a time by hand (like with the Sniper) then there isn't much benefit to the machine in my opinion.

By the way, jrf30 is the KING of copper cent sorting/selling. You'd be very wise to listen to what he has to say. :icon_thumleft:

How do you use a metal detector?

I know there are a few videos of the ryedale sniper on youtube, but the method this guy uses seems to be much faster than how I sort them (date checking)

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
ThatCopperSound said:

Holy cow- thats 110,000 coins. No wonder you ran out of room!

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep mine until I have about $100 face and then sell them for two cents each. I buy silver and gold with the profits. I also keep a few on hand for the future.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ThatCopperSound said:
...How do you use a metal detector?...

It depends on the detector model. On the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, I setup the discrimination so that zinc cents give a low sound and copper cents give a high sound. Then you just take a cent and wave it across the coil. If it beeps low, throw it in the zinc box. If it beeps high, throw it in the copper box. The only downside is that old wheats and indian heads can give a low sound as well. So you need to pay attention to what is going over the coil.

I'm actually in the process of uploading a video that I made today which shows my process. I'll create a new thread in the forum when it is ready.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the video of me sorting cents using a metal detector.

Alternate URL:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread