For Dewcon and other curious minds?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just when you think you have it figured out. Hunted the small coil today, sensitivity at about 3/4, disc at 1 but also using pinpoint to double check questionable targets. Both rings are small, a silver toe ring and a 10k - 2 gram white gold with sapphires and tiny chips.

Silver toe ring was about 5 - 6 inches deep and nulled half the time. The 10k white gold was about the same depth "and took my head off!" Though for sure I had just found the mother of all giant platinum rings when I heard that tone and pinpointed a rather large and solid signature. I used the same technique retrieving both items, a very shallow first scoop and then stuck the small coil into the hole for a closer examination (something I'm practicing on a lot lately.)

A) Why did the small silver ring null half the time? No iron in area when I rechecked the area after the retrieval. :dontknow:
B) Why did this small 10k white gold offer such a strong signal and such a large signature? :dontknow:

Attachments

• saph2.jpg
    saph2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! So you must always use discri=0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No set rules when something is in the ground...you never know...good score, congrats on the gold.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been laying in a depression that had some black sand..... but my bet would be the was it was setting, much like a coin on edge. It also is BROKEN which affects the magnetic field. That white gold is still a pretty good size piece. White gold will provide a lower tone than yellow just because of what its mixed with.... i believe nickel vs copper. Ive found some white gold that had a plating over yellow gold..... still 14K..... oddly thou it was plated.

Dew

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
simple one.dew hit it on the head with the silver read half the ring.gold one was simlpe too.it was right on top or close to.laying flat

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think about the silver being broken, I suppose it makes sense now that you pointed that out. :icon_thumleft: But that white gold, I could see where it was and the first scoop was just a surface scoop, about three inches or so, my second scoop was pretty shallow too, figuring it wasn't too deep. But man, that was maybe one of the loudest ring tones I've ever had for a ring that wasn't right on top and not that large, and white gold to boot. Just seemed strange. Must have been really flat to the coil? I've also been doing a bit of quick research and they do use silver in white gold sometimes so maybe that figures into part of it?

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nice recovery ......now thats what its all about

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of them hit it right on the head, gold close to the top and maybe the silver on the side for getting that null signal. nice rings HH

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
I think Dew is right about the silver ring and here is something that I'll add to it that is just a theory for me.....looking at the ring, you have those 4 coils of silver wire which to me would act as a parachute to a sinking ring. In other words, the 4 coils would be facing up as the ring sank. Now take a field being set up by the detector and pass that field over 4 coils of wire.... it has to screw up the reading... I'm just not an electrical engineer to explain it correctly I just know the coils of wire would affect the detector field. Would be fun to test the ring on the beach to see if I'm right about how it would sink!
Cliff

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdv.... what you seem to be saying is ..... not being solid it detected the silver ring much like it would a piece of wire or CHAIN. Those settings on the gold ring my very well be the reason.

Dew

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet sand, damp sand or dry sand, I see difference in targets in how wet the sand is, I get stronger signals on targets that are actually in "wet" sand vs targets that are in damp sand......Targets on the shore with water still flowing over it, even though it is less than an inch of water, targets seem to sepond better, like hunting in the rain...

I agree with the others, not a full circle on toe ring and position it was laying will make a difference.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet sand, damp sand or dry sand, I see difference in targets in how wet the sand is, I get stronger signals on targets that are actually in "wet" sand vs targets that are in damp sand......Targets on the shore with water still flowing over it, even though it is less than a half inch of water, targets seem to still repond better, like hunting in the rain...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdv1.....that's actually what it acted like, broken signals that were spotty at best and nulls, like multiple tiny targets under the coil at one time. As for the gold ring, wasn't actually that close to the coil. But the water is getting colder too, 63 yesterday, which I also think helps. Like maybe, as metals are cooled they present a more dense response? I've also noticed that as silver becomes more tarnished the response/tone is different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something else that I've really noticed is this; if the threshold changes at all then there's a target somewhere in the immediate vicinity. Unlike the larger coil where threshold changes occur more often simply do to coil control issues or changes in the substrate, with the smaller coil it seems there's always a much better reason for it. I find "a lot" of targets this way, simply hearing the threshold shift and then going in search of a nearby target. Nine times of ten there's a target in the immediate vicinity. The other thing I've noticed, when running a higher sensitivity it's much easier to throw the machine into an overload response on targets that are close to the coil. That's another reason why I'm certain that the white gold ring wasn't that close to the coil, if it had been the machine would have freaked out. Another thing I've noticed is the tones, slightly different with the smaller coil, richer, perhaps. What I'm learning is that everything is relative when it comes to coil size. With the smaller coil individual targets will appear a bit larger then they do with the big coil and there is no doubting that the smaller coil provides considerably more stability with a higher degree of sensitivity. I've never had so many targets falling through my scoop as I have since using the smaller coil, it's absolutely a frustrating, routine occurrence now.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Not to hijack this thread but here is another example of a null yesterday with the excal in the water that after slowly moving the coil around I got an iffy signal that I decided to dig. From looking at this toe ring you can see it also has a similar open and loop design to it, much like bigscoop's ring. I try to work over all nulls to see if I can get a signal that sounds like something I want to dig....it just doesn't always pay off.

Cliff

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1354288459729.jpg
    ResizedImage_1354288459729.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also noticed that as silver becomes more tarnished the response/tone is different.

I ahve seen the same thing, I recovered a silver ring this week that wasn't a good signal but I was digging all signals that didn't null, turned out to be a silver ring that was black and encrusted from being in the ocean so long...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to hijack this thread but here is another example of a null yesterday with the excal in the water that after slowly moving the coil around I got an iffy signal that I decided to dig. From looking at this toe ring you can see it also has a similar open and loop design to it, much like bigscoop's ring. I try to work over all nulls to see if I can get a signal that sounds like something I want to dig....it just doesn't always pay off.

Cliff

Spot on for working all nulls from different directions, I have found gold this way......When I get a null I immediately work it from a couple different 90 degree directions to see if i get a good signal.....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cliff

Sort of a "chain" configuration. All of the gold chains I've found recently, and even some of the tiny silver chains, responded much the same way. Anymore, if I even get a threshold shift or a faint null I'll start snooping around for a target, even scooping away some of the surface sand so I can stick the smaller coil into the hole for a closer look. Like you say, doesn't always payoff, but there is nearly always something there. I'm still not convinced that you need to "dig it all" but I'm sure digging more of them these days.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I don't dig is the bottle caps I can identify with the braaaap sound, all other targets I have dug.... I have found gold this way...:headbang:

I would rather dig than walk away from that $20K diamond ring because it gave a bad signal for being on its side, in black sand or near a piece of iron.....

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small coils also do not produce the coil HALO a larger one can with high sensitivity. I dig those breaks as well even in PP you can hear the threshold change and it sounds different than minerals. All this kind of takes you back to ..... the difference a PI offers over a small coil. Both you may not cover a great deal of real estate one is depth maybe based on the pulse delay more sensitive ..... the other separation and sensitivity.. but how much over a 10 inch coil? Once you get tarnish and sand starts attaching to the silver.... it definitely changes things.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread