What's new

For the button experts

Badfrog

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
92
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Hello,

AS any of you ever seen this button ? I have two and they have been found far apart, in a field. Could it be military ?

btt1v.jpg


Thanks,

T
 
Badfrog said:
Hello,

AS any of you ever seen this button ? I have two and they have been found far apart, in a field. Could it be military ?

btt1v.jpg


Thanks,

T
I would say no but it could be an academy or school button.
 
Upvote 0
The V shaped thing in the middle looks like the symbol for Aries the Ram.
Joe
 
Upvote 0
Badfrog, It doesn't seem to be military (definately not U.S. military); and is almost certainly civilian fancy dress, probably late Victorian. The V is a mystery, but considering you found it in Canada, the V might have been a subtle way of honoring Queen Victoria?
 
Upvote 0
Take a closer look and see if you can't make out the backmark - it might help some
 
Upvote 0
The Style of the front of this button is 1830s-40s, but since it is a two-piece button it must be closer to 1850s-60s. I do not think it is late Victorian. My guess is mid-century. And yes, a backmark would date it.

Here's my thread on buttons if you'd like to take a peek: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html


Regards,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for your input. Unfortunaltly, no backmarks are apparent. So I'll leave it to your evaluation. If I find more on the same site, then I'll ask myself more questions (a coat can only have that many buttons).

Thanks also for the great tips on cleaning buttons. Where would you purshase alluminium jelly, a simple hardeware store ?

T
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
12
Views
1K
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pre civil war?
Replies
6
Views
577
Replies
15
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom