🔎 UNIDENTIFIED forged wagon hardware

cellerfeller

May 15, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this recently in an old family barn. I showed it to a local fellow and he thought it was the hardware for a heavy logging wagon or sleigh. There was also a heavy metal center piece that a kingpin went down through. I can't find any other pictures of this kind of hardware so I was hoping that someone could help with a better id. The old barn was built in 1866. The wooden drawbar would be 5" across and 2" thick. The forged round stock shaped like a U would stand 4" above the drawbar. I have never seen this configuation before on a singletree or evener. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• wagon hardware 001.jpg
    wagon hardware 001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • wagon hardware 002.jpg
    wagon hardware 002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • wagon hardware 003.jpg
    wagon hardware 003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • wagon hardware 004.jpg
    wagon hardware 004.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to say they are parts of a wagon hitch clevis, but like you , I haven't seen that exact arrangement before. Whatever they are, they are beautiful!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cellerfeller

May 15, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this recently in an old family barn. I showed it to a local fellow and he thought it was the hardware for a heavy logging wagon or sleigh. There was also a heavy metal center piece that a kingpin went down through. I can't find any other pictures of this kind of hardware so I was hoping that someone could help with a better id. The old barn was built in 1866. The wooden drawbar would be 5" across and 2" thick. The forged round stock shaped like a U would stand 4" above the drawbar. I have never seen this configuation before on a singletree or evener. Thanks for the help.
Yes it is a mystery to me. I know early on the farm used oxen. I am 62 and as a little girl my Mother's job was to team the oxen hauling meadow hay from a stillwater near the farm. If this was a drawbar evener maybe it was for oxen and that is why it was built so heavy. That would have been a big plank of wood with these pieces on the ends and the kingpin in the middle.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this your auction?
Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 8.42.35 AM.jpg

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread