Forgotten Cash, Sterling Silver, Jewels, Ring!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you say epic score? Hit that big dumpster full of "mansion garbage" early this morning. Same place I scored that 1897 bust of Queen Victoria yesterday.
Happy to say I made a few more treasure finds from this place! :icon_king:

First thing was this old bag. I searched though it and found some forgotten dollar bills inside! All four from 1988!
20150601_174040.jpg 20150601_174032.jpg
20150602_001718.jpg

Next I saw this little thing. I turned it over and saw that word "sterling" and that just made my day! (It was also made by a company called Fisher so I took that as a good omen)
20150603_171053.jpg Fisher Silver.jpg

Next I spotted this, the matching sterling silver creamer!
20150603_171042.jpg

Then not too far away was this weighted sterling sugar bowl!
20150603_171105.jpg

In that same area I just started to dig and dig through piles of broken glass, pots and pans, and filthy appliances.
It seemed I had found everything of value when I spotted this gravy boat. I pulled the handle and it popped out of the junk pile.
Expecting to see that common "Silver Electroplated" stamp I peered at the underside and I froze... it said Gorham Sterling Silver!:icon_pirat:
20150603_171116.jpg 20150603_171131.jpg
I was able to look up this piece. Just by itself this gravy boat retails for $580! Holy smokes! Gorham*709 (Sterling, Hollowware) at Replacements, Ltd

But the hunt wasn't over yet. Teetering on a piece of old newspaper on the brink of falling into the abyss of the depths of the dumpster I spotted this ring. I took off my glove and carefully grabbed it.
It is sterling silver with the largest garnet I've ever seen in a ring. Surrounding the garnet are dozens of little diamondy things! I hope they turn out to be real diamonds!
And maybe the garnet could turn out to be a ruby instead! That would be something! :icon_king:
20150602_034245.jpg 20150602_034303.jpg
20150602_034349.jpg 20150602_034405.jpg

It was quite exsausting digging though all that garbage but I'll try to get back at it later today. Maybe I'll find more! Maybe some gold? Here's hoping! :laughing7:

Upvote 24

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice saves UnderMiner! Can't believe someone would toss out all that obvious silver. HH:thumbsup:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so Sweet!! Hope there's gold waiting for you too.

There's a house down the road that went to the banks. There's a couple hired by the bank that has to clean everything out and they plan on pitching it all.
They told me if I wanted to go through the house, have at it. They were suppose to leave the front door unlocked but, forgot.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe that sterling silver was tossed. What were they thinking!

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe they just didn't have room left to carry the silver in the bag of gold they must have took. To toss sterling silver like that, there must have been other things much more valuable they had to haul away to consider silver junk. Amazing what people throw away!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take a mansion full of that garbage all day long ! Maybe these folks were so loaded -that those things really did look like
garbage to them . Nice Finds !

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe that sterling silver was tossed. What were they thinking!

Imagine how much ends up in a landfill somewhere. It's crazy!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice saves. :occasion14: It reminds me of a time I saw some people tossing many items on the curb, I believe this was their mother's house who either passed away or had to be moved to an assisted living home. I went through the garbage and found 3 rings in a cup. 2 were junk, but the 3rd must have been their mothers high school graduation ring from the 1950's. Later that day I drove back and as one of the individuals was bringing more to the curb, I got his attention and asked if he wanted his mother's graduation ring. He was in a somber mood, but perked up when I (a complete stranger) offered him the ring I found in the pile of things they were simply tossing to the curb.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NEXT UP, WILL THE BODY THAT OWNS THIS STUFF PLEASE STAND UP. VANZUTPHEN

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet saves!!!!! Silver is silver, no matter how you find it!!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice score! The ring is awesome and the silver...Wow!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man isn't it just amazing what people throw out! :o :occasion14:

Congrats on all that sterling silver and the beautiful ring... you'd never have found all that with your Minelab! :laughing7:

Dave

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul. Reminds me of all the great dumpster prizes I saw last weekend when I was moving our son home from college for the summer. Its amazing how much "new" stuff gets thrown away by the out-of-state students. These student have no way to transport their belongings when they fly home for the summer, so they simply toss them in the dumpster when exams are done and they have to leave. This included items like lamps, chairs, lights, clocks etc. Many of the items were in "like new" condition. Fortunately, a charity (I think Goodwill) stopped by one of the larger dorms to save some of the loot.

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not shocked - if I see a house clean-out going on - I always jump in the dumpster - if its a clean-out crew - they often go real fast - family members do that too - especially if the house is packed with stuff - Ive probably found silver in close to half the clean-out dumpsters Ive checked....provided its not just recent stuff - Im sure the landfills are full of treasure(!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread