Fossilized Snake Head?

Gold007

May 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at the surface near a creek bed. It looks interesting say the least. It appears as a snake head. The left eye is missing. Also you can see where the nose is. The bottom is smooth and flat. I can also see a line in the middle of the nose to the back of the head if it is a head. The right eye socket still has something in it. Could this be a fossilized snake head?

ForumRunner_20140219_191158.png

ForumRunner_20140219_191214.png

ForumRunner_20140219_191226.png

OP
OP
Gold007

Gold007

May 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be a broken and worn arrowhead?

That came to my mind as well. It does look like worn arrowhead. I found it in a creek so it got weathered rather quickly.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not made of the right material for it to be a flaked stone tool or arrowhead of any kind.

scarmyd291

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2024
I’m a newbie in regards to all of this, but based off of my observations, petrified snake heads are more common than people give credit. With that being said, any I have personally observed are more in tact and crystallized. (The brain, tongue, eyes are distinct and swollen. Sometimes eyes appear as melting lol, and tiny white crystals form as they are mutilated looking teeth). This looks like a snake for sure to me, but I’d consider it as an artwork. It looks to be all one material. A living thing would have different chemical makeup in different parts of the body, since slowly decaying fossils are way more rare since decay happens before preservation, my best guess is someone made that. I know ancient people correlated snakes with drought, at that led to hunger and thirst. I would come to believe that was someone expressing their hatred of the snakes in art. Just like artists today depict dark truths in their art. Like I said, I’m no professional. It’s just my best logical guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread