What's new

Found 40' axe cut cypress log diving in the swamp

GetBusyDiggin

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2016
Messages
68
Reaction score
227
Golden Thread
0
Location
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diving among the alligators, snapping turtles and snakes seems foolish but the lost history in the Louisiana Bayous is amazing. Today we found a log that was lost over a hundred years ago. had to cut it in 3 pieces to get it home. Also stumbled on a possible shipwreck.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    586.4 KB · Views: 211
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    602.1 KB · Views: 167
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    85.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Upvote 30
diving among the alligators, snapping turtles and snakes seems foolish but the lost history in the Louisiana Bayous is amazing. Today we found a log that was lost over a hundred years ago. had to cut it in 3 pieces to get it home. Also stumbled on a possible shipwreck.

I dont knowvhow much a log like that goes for but wow its a big one, and ya that looks like a wreck.pretty cool!!!!!
 
How long did you stay looking at that possible shipwreck? Any chance it is something else? Snappers have never bothered me. Never tried diving around aggilators though.

 
lots of steamboats sank due to snags and fires in this area. pretty sure it was and old wreck. We found an anchor near by. I posted the anchor video on my YouTube page. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wux5dPkwqHc

You didn't bring that anchor up?? I want it! When do you want me to come dive with you? Do you dive for bottles, logs or just anything? How deep were you? How warm is the water? Thanks for sharing. What kind of camera do you use? I am thinking of one.
 
We're gonna leave the anchor where it's at until we are prepared to preserve it. It's in an area where nobody else will find it:) I dive for my job in the oil industry but I really enjoy diving on my off time for lost items. Bottles, lost props, log ect...if you find yourself in south Louisiana give me a shout. I use a GoPro underwater. got lucky with the visibility the other day. Generally I dive in 0 vis.
 
Thank you for the reply. That looks AWESOME. I dive in "0" vis also when detecting. Doesn't bother me. If that is fresh water won't take much to preserve it. If brackish it might take more equipment than you have. I read how they preserved the Merrimack and it took a lot of years.

Hope you can post more adventures. I am thinking of a GoPro but haven't decided to yet. Some want to see my adventures while detecting.
 
Cypress log ?

Gawd I bet that's GORGEOUS wood after being down 100 years ( guesstimate on your part ?? )
 
The old growth cypress logging industry boom lasted from 1880-1920s. This log was axe cut on both ends. They also had pin holes in the ends which were used to attach them to rafts.
 
Zero visability gators snappers wow That's where I draw the line Great finds thanks for sharing em!!!!
 
Interesting stuff! Be sure to go back to get the anchor and explore the shipwreck!:treasurechest: :icon_pirat:
 
ooooh paw paw that's a goodun

Shelby!!
 
Very interesting story. I know some of those guys get those cypress logs and process them for bowl and furniture makers.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom