Found a 17 Grumman aluminum canoe, turned into the police & now, its mine!!

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
Found a 17' Grumman aluminum canoe, turned into the police & now, it's mine!!

This was years ago, back in the mid to late '80's. After a gully washing rain, I found a canoe washed up on the bank of Bull Run, near Manassas Battlefield, behind my parent's property! I remember going back to get my car to strap it on in order to get it home. I just can't remember how long ago it was, because my Dad gave me my 1st car when I was 13. It was a baby shiite green, 1975 AMC Hornet Sportabout Wagon. We lived in a private, gravel road community and I drove that ugly bastard everywhere, so that by the time I was able to actually get my liscense, the car was pretty well ragged out and damned near the end of it's life, until I jumped it into the local rock quarry pond (on purpose) just before graduation, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

Anyway, my dad made me turn the canoe into the police. They had us put an ad in the lost & found classified section in the paper and after 90 days and no replies....I got documentation from the popo and now it's mine. I still have my canoe to this day and still use it to hit the creeks on my relic hunting adventures several times a year.

I actually found a second, identical canoe about a year later, same scenario and my sister still has that on as far as Iknow

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Re: Found a 17' Grumman aluminum canoe, turned into the police & now, it's mine!!

That goes to show you - it pays to be honest! Congratulations on your excellent behavior and great canoe! :thumbsup: We had a Grumman aluminum the same size and used it to explore the maze of lakes and rivers in Ontario & Maine, they are a really good canoe that stands up to the abuse. I plan on getting another one some day.
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread