What's new

Found a 1798 Draped Bust LC! My First 1700s U.S. Coin!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2013
Messages
4,208
Reaction score
8,036
Golden Thread
1
Location
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a 1798 Draped Bust LC! My First 1700's U.S. Coin!

Found a pretty toasted LC today and it looks to be a 1798 draped bust! I've found three half reales and two KG coppers from the 1700's, but this is my first U.S. coin from that era.

Almost didn't dig it, because it wasn't a great signal. Glad I decided to check it out. It was only 5 inches down and standing on edge, which may explain the iffy signal.

I'm not messing with this one. No water, no mineral oil and no toothpicking. This LC is not getting any better, no matter what I attempt. I'll live with it the way it is right now.

Here's a few pics. Hope you guys can read the date:

draped bust front 1.webpdraped bust front.webpdraped bust back 1.webp
 
Upvote 46
Nice patina on this one. Even in worn condition, the color makes up for:thumbsup:
 
Man dude that's a beauty!!! Great save I don't think it woulda lasted too much longer in the ground be it def wouldn't be IDed! Great coin though congrats on the 1700s club!
 
Tim first off a big congrats. Secondly, please do me a favor. I know this sounds weird. Take your finger and rub it on the side of your nose. Then gently rub it across the face of the coin. The oil from your skin will highlight the details. Take a pic right after you do it. It won't hurt it and it will just dry out after a few minutes and revert back. But I guarantee it will bring out more detail for a couple pics. Great find buddy
 
Nice going on the oldie, and Abe's right a little snoz oil will bring out the details.
 
Congrats on pulling that oldie. :occasion14: I always enjoy seeing others finds, especially coins from the 18th century.
 
Great find!
And, good choice on not cleaning it - the condition can't improve any. After all,
it (is) super OLD! :thumbsup:
 
Well done! Any Draped Bust copper is a good one in my book... :)
 
Way to go and welcome to the 1700's club!!:occasion14:
 
Congrats .....Those 1700's coins are always a treat. Keep on Digging!
 
Congrats on making the 1700s club! Looks like a beautiful coin to me and Ahab8 's idea of rubbing your nose oil on the coin is a good suggestion- that's what Aquachigger advises in one of his YouTube videos. Nice work!
 
Thanks guys! I did try the nose oil trick, but it didn't help that much. Maybe someday I'll find a copper that isn't toasted. I found this one on a baseball field, so that would explain the condition. Fertilizer can be tough on coins.
 
Hey buddy a 1700s US coin is killer....regardless of condition. I hope it's a silver one next time
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom