Found a 209 year old 14K GOLD Georgian era mourning brooch!

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6532.jpg
IMG_6448.jpg
IMG_6792.JPG
IMG_6791.JPG

Upvote 55
OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have missed it, but did you say where it was found, roughly? Thanks
Near Riverside Public Park in Kamloops, B.C. Canada. Believe there was an old paddle wheeler or steamship pier/landing site nearby and area was also known as ''Old Chinatown'' in the mid 1900s being mostly populated by Chinese near the Thompson river shoreline in the late 1800s, shortly after the CP rail line was first built through town center.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall reading about this on the state newscaster.
Congrats on the recovery.
Remember getting silvers from the parks in the 70s.
The finds keep well in the dry climate.
:occasion14:

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was it like before cleaning? That is an amazing piece.
Did not clean once i discovered the hair. Looked as it was when first dug, just a little sand was on surface that i blew off, solder was very corroded which stained the hair to a greenish tint from a light brown and caused the pin to come appart in my pouch before i took it out at home. Thank You! :occasion14:

Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Did not clean once i discovered the hair. Looked as it was when first dug, just a little sand was on surface that i blew off, solder was very corroded witch stained the hair to a greenish tint from a light brown and caused the pin to come appart in my pouch before i took it out at home. Thank You! :occasion14:
It is in wonderful shape. Just think of the timeline. Who knows when it was lost and buried? Maybe 1 year ago, maybe a long time ago. I’m glad you rescued it!👍🏼

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elias Jeffs was born in the year 1767 in All Hallows Wall, London, England. He died on Jan 8, 1814, at age 47 and was buried on Jan 16 in Essex, England at St. Mary's Virgin Church, Walthamstow on Marsh street. He lived on Silver street, Parish of St.James county of Middlesex, the same street Mr. S (Shakespear) previousley resided, and worked as a Master Farrier in Naylors yard. He wrote his will in the year 1799 leaving all his earthly possesions to his wife Elizabeth Jeffs (nee Bird). Only one child can be traced to Elias and Elizabeth, a daughter, also named Elizabeth whome was around 20 years old when Elias had passed being born in 1794. Yeah was told by many jewelry experts that in Georgian times most jewelry was made of a copper alloy metal called Pinchbeck, but had doubts due to surface finish when dug..so purchased a jewelry test kit.. and yes the roman Catholic "Little Garden'' style was not popular untill the Victorian era and it was illegal for most common working class to even own gold during the Georgian era, specially being lesser than 18 karat, unlike in the Victorian period jewelry where 9 Karat gold was fairly common. Thanks you! doubt i will ever be able to top find! Cheers!:icon_thumright::occasion14:

Travis.
Sure, Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I really never looked into hair jewelry all that much. I've seen a few in antique stores over time and I estimated them to be from the 2nd half of the 19th century. None that I've see with solid gold, but most were gold filled.

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is in wonderful shape. Just think of the timeline. Who knows when it was lost and buried? Maybe 1 year ago, maybe a long time ago. I’m glad you rescued it!👍🏼
Right! yeah am dying to know the story behind and discover who may have lost it! Covered gravel bar very thoroughly with detector the next morning using small coil and only came up with a few more pennies from the 1920s-1950s. Found pieces of a clutch purse frame and a few other Georgivus VI pennies along with a large 1950 Canadian 50 cent silver piece the previous day out, using larger 8.5X11'' DD coil before bringing my Dad along. Found the brooch in same area on gravel bar right beside a 1907 Canadian 5 cent silver coin (fishcale) (Fishy) using the 5X8'' DD coil. Cheers agian! and best of luck! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I really never looked into hair jewelry all that much. I've seen a few in antique stores over time and I estimated them to be from the 2nd half of the 19th century. None that I've see with solid gold, but most were gold filled.
The brooch is fairly small, quite thin and is hollow though weighs an even 6 grams. Guessing the lens/window wether glass or crystal could weigh near a gram, but have not done and probably will not try a specific gravity test on piece to know for sure.

Last edited:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting piece and not commonly found. Precious metal in great shape. Over 200 years old and attributed to a specific person with some background history. I say BANNER. Congrats on finding such a great piece.

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting piece and not commonly found. Precious metal in great shape. Over 200 years old and attributed to a specific person with some background history. I say BANNER. Congrats on finding such a great piece.
Thank You! :icon_thumright::occasion14:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
awesome old find! I believe UK jewelry is usually 15k or 16k, no? It might be a little higher than 14k if you can take it to a location that has an XRF gun.

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome old find! I believe UK jewelry is usually 15k or 16k, no? It might be a little higher than 14k if you can take it to a location that has an XRF gun.
Thank you! yeah was still a slightly visible line under the 18k solution on parts. Tested the pin, face piece, back piece and clasp hook for pin.

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer