Found a couple points and a grinder Saturday

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got to go out for a short hunt Saturday, first hunt for me since mid July, and it seemed more like three years than three months. None of the fields I usually walk are getting turned so far this year, so I just went out looking for bare ground where I could find it in unworked fields. The first site didn't have much bare ground showing but I ended up with the base half of a wide stemmed point #238, and the tip fragment of a dark chert serrated point #239.
The next field was in standing corn, with not much bare ground showing either. Grinder #86 looked like a nutting stone from where it lay, but the depression didn't show much sign of being worked, or usage, while the bottom side (the side showing in the photo) is obviously ground almost flat. The only two intact points I found are #87 and #91, both of which have "unfinished bases", with the cobble cortex remaining. These are probably the most common point types in most of the sites I hunt. I generally consider them Lamoka types, and assume they are roughly of the same age as the more northerly Lamoka's.. #90 is a quartzite biface that could be a completed tool of some sort, but with the thick hinge, (which shows near the base in the photo) I suspect it is more likely a rejected preform. Thanks for lookin and HH.
101114 finds resized.JPG #87 in situ resized.JPG #87 in situ agin resized.JPG #87 in hand resized.JPG #91 in situ resized.JPG #91 in hand resized.JPG

Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds and super needle tip on the one thanks for posting !!!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds!Looks like you had a great saturday.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds. Looks like a good variety of material in the fields you hunt. Interesting both points have unfinished bases showing cortex.. Thanks for the view and info.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always good to be able to go out and look. Why haven't you gotten to go in the past 3 months? I try to go at least once a week. I don't always find anything but the walk is always good. Nice finds

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one has a nice needle tip on it that looks like it would still hurt. Nice finds there redbeird.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Red! So glad you were able to finally get out for a peek. And you got a good assortment- I will miss the beautiful variety of color up there (sigh). Hope all is going better for you now- HH Yak

OP
OP
R

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Always good to be able to go out and look. Why haven't you gotten to go in the past 3 months? I try to go at least once a week. I don't always find anything but the walk is always good. Nice finds

Thanks everybody.
Hey Rock, I wish I could have gotten out some this summer but it was just not to be. Biggest problem was none of the fields I have permission at were walkable because of the growing crops. The secondary problem was health related, I got sick in middle of July, and after some mis-diagnosis, they finally found out I had a case of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick bite, I felt ok after awhile but they had me on antibiotics for over a month, the kind of antibiotics that they want you to stay out of the Sun while on. I tried to stay indoors as much as I could stand, or covered up when I went outside, but still ended up with a bad case of sun burn on my face. All is well now, but still trying to play catch up on all the chores and activities I missed this summer. HH

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that. Them ticks come in all sizes here but a doctor told me we don't have that spotted fever. So I just yank them off when I see them.

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I was thinking they look like the my points and then seen you were from the shore also, so makes since.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread