What's new

Found A Few Points Today.....

FoundInNC

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Messages
458
Reaction score
638
Golden Thread
2
Location
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what they are, but they were all in an area that I have scanned visually several times in the past few years. We have had lots of rain, and these points were revealed. My loot was four points and an Iron Pyrite crystal. I also found a modern dime. ID help on the points will be appreciated!
IMAG0716.webp
IMAG0717.webp
IMAG0719.webp
IMAG0720.webp
IMAG0721.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice gathering! You know where you find those iron pyrites you are susceptible to gold, right? Those pyrites are pretty if you tumble them, turn silver and you can almost see your reflection in them.
 
Check this polished or tumbled iron pyrite out. This one I tumbled about 15 years ago. It's starting to get a gold like tarnish. I suppose in time it'll be rust color again. In my second pic. Notice the reflection of my finger.

image-1638603950.webp



image-3285639850.webp

What do ya say? Pretty boring childhood to even think of polishing a pyrite, huh? Lol
 
I've busted pyrite from granite before and it is just as shiny as you please. I find these so rarely, I think I will hold off on the polish. I have an odd appreciation for their ugly complection but beautiful crystalline structure. Thanks for the ID on the points!
 
I've busted pyrite from granite before and it is just as shiny as you please. I find these so rarely, I think I will hold off on the polish. I have an odd appreciation for their ugly complection but beautiful crystalline structure. Thanks for the ID on the points!

On my family farm one spot was loaded with pyrite. I can't relocate that spot for the world. Have you seen the octagonal shaped ones? I have a coupe of those left. We used to play sling shot wars with these. Parents didn't like BB guns. They would have taken our sling shots if they knew we were shooting each other with these. Lol
 
Nice finds- With the random looking flaking they look Randolf to me.
 
the fourth image the piece on the left in your hand is probably a scraper wit the narrow stem pointing up fastened too a handle.............
.....these were called hafted scrapers

it is maybe a spoke shave but i am thinking more about a scraper

larson1951
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom