What's new

Found a hole.....

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
1,213
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the beach at daylight, just at the end of an outgoing tide.... Rather than hunt the way I usually do, which is to just pick a line and walk it until I start hitting targets, I walked to the high side of the beach and looked at the water. About 200 yds down the beach, I clearly saw a "hole" that had a high sandbar between it and the shoreline.. "Sand moved" I asked myself... Looked good to me, so I entered the water at the closest end..
Hadnt gone ten feet, and hit a nice low tone right at the beginning of the outer sandbar... One scoop, and there was the gold.. What a way to start the morning!!
Continued on, working back and forth, and never made it more than a couple feet without hitting a signal.. Plenty of older, dark coins. After cleaning back at home, many turned out to be from the late 60's to mid 70's.. Most probably not lost back then, but more than likely they were buried for a while...
Nearly every target I dug in that area came up with the first scoop, although the hardpan was still a good 2 1/2 ft down in the sand..
By noon, the beach was packed with people, as was the water... It always slows me down when the water is full of people, whether due to zig zagging around them or having them stop me to ask what I was doing.
Finally, by 3pm, I was toast.. I knew better than to hunt that long, but when you have a spot continuously producing, it is hard to stop.
Found one ring that has a beautiful purple (what kind of stone is that?), that looks very retro at the least, to maybe an old one.
Sterling, and quite ornate. I am in the progress of cleaning it up, really pretty. I will have to post pics when I am done with it. Found what has got to be the biggest, gawdiest, ring ever... Wish it was silver, but I am quite sure it is steel... Heavy, unbelievably heavy.. I thought Snooksion had the honor of the biggest, ugliest ring, but I have him beat..
Another ring, nearly gave me a heart attack... Silver, not tarnished at all, with a huge "diamond" in it. "Finally, my platinum score"... Banner ring for sure I thought!
Alas, it is stamped .925 and most likely, not diamonds.. But will still have them checked out, you never know... The big stone is over 2 carats I am sure..
Found my wife a really cool hair clip.. Metal, clean, and covered with fake diamonds.. Really pretty... Found a pendant that is "the Ten Commandments" on the front, then when you slide the front half away, the inside half of the pendant has all ten commandments written. Really cool.. Looks like sterling, but havent tested it yet.. The gold ring is 6.2 gm of 14k..
Havent counted the clad yet (I am WHOOPED), but probably in the $5 range..
Very nice day on the water, the weather couldnt have been any better.. Pretty flat too... Enjoy the pic's folks..
 

Attachments

  • 10-02-10 finds trash.webp
    10-02-10 finds trash.webp
    80 KB · Views: 905
  • 10-02-10 finds a.webp
    10-02-10 finds a.webp
    108.3 KB · Views: 912
  • 10-02-10 finds b.webp
    10-02-10 finds b.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 893
  • 10-02-10 finds pendant.webp
    10-02-10 finds pendant.webp
    150.9 KB · Views: 887
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 2.webp
    10-02-10 finds ring 2.webp
    19.5 KB · Views: 881
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 2b.webp
    10-02-10 finds ring 2b.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 880
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 3.webp
    10-02-10 finds ring 3.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 885
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 4.webp
    10-02-10 finds ring 4.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 880
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 1.webp
    10-02-10 finds ring 1.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 870
Upvote 0
Nice haul,well done.Purple stone's probably an Amethyst. :thumbsup:
 
Outstanding, detecting, looking forward to hearing about the rings after you recover from today! :hello2:
 
Nice digs for sure :icon_salut: Congrats on the precious metals! You definately found yourself one of the most hideous rings ever. I'm surprised you didn't throw it back. But "a ring is a ring." I'd keep it too. :laughing7:
 
Here's a couple pic's of the medallion after I attached it to a necklace a friend made for me many years ago... Now wearing it, I really like it's unusual design..
 

Attachments

  • 10-02-10 Finds medallion 2.webp
    10-02-10 Finds medallion 2.webp
    73.4 KB · Views: 783
  • 10-02-10 finds medallion 3.webp
    10-02-10 finds medallion 3.webp
    67.6 KB · Views: 789
That has got to be, without question, the UGLIEST ring I have ever seen! Bravo!!! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

That entire great story and you never said which detector you were using!


Well?? ;D
 
.excellent haul for a days work..
 
wow what a hunt! congrats
 
holes - don't we just lovem

u had a great spin..........lots of targets and tickets

i likem

good luck next spin
 
Smudge said:
That has got to be, without question, the UGLIEST ring I have ever seen! Bravo!!! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

That entire great story and you never said which detector you were using!


Well?? ;D
Ahh.... Damn Excal.... But I want to hit it with the PI also... Maybe mid-week..
 
the 11 commandment,yield shield not be proven wrong unless one as an PI user does not covent to the lesser evil :laughing7: :wink: HH
 
Great finnds!!! except the ugly ring!!!! LOL :laughing9: I have been looking for the ugliest finds banner but could not find it!!!! That one would be in the top 10!!!!! Chug
 
Nice finds! You out-dug me! Spent all day out of boca and only came up with 6 quarters and some pennies :icon_scratch: I'm still learning on all this 'in the water at a saltwater beach' stuff.
 
Wow ,awesome haul!! Thats one big ugly ring, 8)
 
Great finds !!! Lots of bottle caps, must be some heavy drinkers down your way :laughing9:
 
Silver Surfer said:
Smudge said:
That has got to be, without question, the UGLIEST ring I have ever seen! Bravo!!! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

That entire great story and you never said which detector you were using!


Well?? ;D
Ahh.... Damn Excal.... But I want to hit it with the PI also... Maybe mid-week..

I ask because I'm shopping for a new beach detector. Seems like you're using the Excal more and the Dual Field less.
 
only due to lazyness, plain and simple... the multi-tones.... I have no doubt i would have found as much or more with the PI, but would have had to dig more for sure... but i am going to use it next time i go there...
 
HEY! thats my key!!
just keydding!
great finds!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom