What's new

Found a jetta in KY??

Minkey

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2008
Messages
57
Reaction score
113
Golden Thread
1
Location
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in south central ky and to my knowledge these points are found mainly in texas and sometimes in oklahoma. What gives?
 

Attachments

  • 20141001_100858.webp
    20141001_100858.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 20140930_214451.webp
    20140930_214451.webp
    258.7 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
travelling people and or traded items
 
While close in resemblance, it's not a Jetta. See if your reference material ID's LeCroy or McCorkel. My guess is LeCroy.
 
Like 1320 said, no Jettas in Ky. That an Early Archaic Bifurcate Point and probably a LeCroy.
 
I'm certainly not trying to dispute Reaper here. He's been studying artifacts longer and harder than me. However, what I've always called a LeCroy is shorter and stumpier than your piece. Like this one:

image-1291933459.webp

I've also found points like the one you have. I've never been able to pin a name on them.

image-3234066555.webp



image-4163351599.webp

In this frame, in the left hand, top corner I have a couple Lecroy points and one similar to yours.

image-3335965153.webp

It's a nice find you have, and it's name may vary depending on the region in which it was found. I have always been curious about these points and how to ID them.
 
Most of my books will tell you that this style is found in other areas and variation of this style . Every knapper made his own little change to his points or the points in that region changed from clan to clan and I would call that a Lecory also due to where it was found. It is a very fine one at that:thumbsup:
 
To: NC Field Hunter

Agree that the piece that's posted is much larger than any Lecroy I've found, perhaps it's not as exhausted as the other examples I've seen? That's why I threw MacCorkel in the mix as they are somewhat similar in shape but usually bigger. You have some nice examples, good post.
 
:icon_thumleft: That is a really nice find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom