Found a nice knife and a few nice points this morning.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By far my best hunt to date!Had another spell of rain a couple days ago so I decided to check out Quartz Hill this morning.I pretty much just walked the same stomping grounds where I have found most of my pieces.wasn't finding much at first which is nothing unusual for me,did get a heartbreaker that would have been a nice one.So i decided to go off the beaten path and after awhile of hunting the pieces started coming.First I found that small pink quarts piece that I think is a decater?It is quite thin and it looks to have a fractured base .Then I spotted the Marrow Mountain,after that I was really excited.Later on in the hunt I found the knife.it took it awhile to sink in what it was and I still can't believe it.By far my nicest piece I have ever found.And as the luck would have it I found the little halifax on the way out.I am still excited,don't know if I will ever have a day like this again.But I have a even greater hope for the site now."I had the knife upside down in the first pic 005.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG 013.JPG 012.JPG I think this one is a Decatur but not sure? 022.JPG These are my best results so far from this Archaic Village.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great day. That Morrow mountain is a beauty. Some days a diamond and some day a rock. Hunts like this this and I will take quartz. Nice hunt . Congratulations.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great day. That Morrow mountain is a beauty. Some days a diamond and some day a rock. Hunts like this this and I will take quartz. Nice hunt . Congratulations.
Thanks T.M.What kind of knife would you call that.A hafted knife,notched knife?

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Some nice ones you found. Keep on looking your spots but try and stomp any new area you can. Sooner or later you'll hit on another hot spot.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Interesting knife form, thanks for the view.
Thanks Viking.It has a worked edge all the way around and around the base where it is notched ,but what I believe to be the busyness end is blunt?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Some nice ones you found. Keep on looking your spots but try and stomp any new area you can. Sooner or later you'll hit on another hot spot.
I went off the beaten path the best I could,but I am kind of limited because the only places I have to look at this site is pretty much just what the machinery has done when they logged it.But I am just one pair of eyes.I am sure I missed allot.i thought I have already walked it out until today.These finds,exspeacialy the knife has gotten me really excited about the place

Last edited:

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say I've ever seen a knife like that! Very unique type...mjm

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to what you find there next! Thanks for showing ;)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say I've ever seen a knife like that! Very unique type...mjm

I was thinking the same thing almost has a Turkeytail look at the base. You got some nice keepers glad to see you found some more to go into the frame.
You ever find any pottery shards in that spot?

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing almost has a Turkeytail look at the base. You got some nice keepers glad to see you found some more to go into the frame.
You ever find any pottery shards in that spot?
I haven't found any pottery shards at all,just allot of flake material.I was looking at some turkey tail pieces and the base does look very similar.Here are a few more pics of front and back under magnify glass,"dont know if it helps any" and of the base.I am hoping to learn something about it.I haven't seen anything similar to it either. 005.JPG 006.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 013.JPG 016.JPG

Last edited:

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Viking.It has a worked edge all the way around and around the base where it is notched ,but what I believe to be the busyness end is blunt?

It does have a strange tip, or end. Kinda looks like a giant hafted scraper, except for the little tooth. I think we are a little to far east to call it a Turkey tail, although it does look similar. I think your best bet will be to associate it with the other pieces from that site and call it a Archaic knife. Its an interesting piece for sure, I like stuff like that. H.H.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you Viking.You are right.It just is what it is.I have found a few small knifes/scrapers from this site that are in the bottom row in the case,very small primitive stuff.As you can see that piece is a monster compared to what I am use to finding.but yet again very primitive.I can tell it was used only for slicing because of it blunt tip.I am kind of wondering if it might date back to Paleo times?The place I found it is a prime spot for some natives to have lived.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread