Found a nice pottery shard today

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still raking under the bank in the old snake spot and it must be hanging out in a different place because I haven't stirred it up, it's noisy when surprised lol I raked up several top halves of broken Burke dairy bottles and some tops of amber Lysol bottles, wish they had been whole though but washing down the creek broke them. Then found this real nice pottery shard, biggest one I've found in a while. The pattern matches 3 others that I have that fit together but this one doesn't fit them and it's a little thicker, thinking it might be from the near the bottom.

WP_20160825_001.jpg WP_20160825_002.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice clear design on that piece. What is the design called?

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could find more pottery... I've found just one small piece!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just curious, you are finding these pottery shards along with old bottles. Are you sure that you aren't digging in an old 20th century trash dump site? Just asking.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just curious, you are finding these pottery shards along with old bottles. Are you sure that you aren't digging in an old 20th century trash dump site? Just asking.

I'm not sure but my guess is there's one upstream that washes down and forms pockets in places, then things get stuck there and that's what I find, because they can be found from where I can get to upstream all the way down.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In the old days they had trash pits behind their homes. The creek I hunt has a small creek that dumps into the larger one and the small creek runs rite through a old home trash pit. Im going in the winter to have a look cause the old home is from the 1700-1800's. I find old bottles in the main creek along with artifacts to but I usually dont keep the old relics unless they are whole witch isnt often. I just dont run through the water barefoot

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day you are going to bring out a real nice point from this creek. There is to much pottery for it not to have a stone tool.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread