Attachments

• P1000265.JPG
    P1000265.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 372
  • P1000267.JPG
    P1000267.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 383
Upvote 0
man, the ground didn't leave much of that one. its hard to say for sure. definitely colonial. my guess would be a Connecticut copper but it would only be a guess. can you make out any lettering at all?

It is a "Draped Bust" large cent. Here is the one I found a few months back for comparison:

Attachments

• 1801.jpg
    1801.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 1801.jpg
    1801.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 303
Know what...I think you are right. It makes sense too, I have found an 1805 and 1808 LC within 70 yards of this one.....I don't know why I was thinking this bust looked like a KG.
Thanks a bunch

In my opinion closest to George I.

Attachments

• f03b_1.JPG
    f03b_1.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 274
Kind of looks like the george 111 cartwheel that I found. Was made in 1797.

Looks like a KG III bust facing right. Great find!

Iron Patch said:

Might be right......I compared it to my 1805 and 1808 LC and it is slightly smaller in diameter and seems much lighter
I have found one other KG in this yard last year

93vector said:
Iron Patch said:

Might be right......I compared it to my 1805 and 1808 LC and it is slightly smaller in diameter and seems much lighter
I have found one other KG in this yard last year

I am fairly sure that's what it is. I look at georgies on a VERY regular basis and don't have to compare, just seeing your pic I know it's Geo. I.

Well, all nice guesses, so I might as well add mine. I do not think it is a KGI, I have never seen one with a wear pattern like that at all, so I would not consider it a possiblity. I would consider KGIII, since there are so many counterfeits that it makes it a very good possiblity with the bust facing that direction. No way is it a Cartwheel, especially now the finder said smaller in diameter than a Large Cent.

But, those darn Draped Bust Large Cents have a habit of being the worst of the Large Cents for wearing down to almost nothing, so even though I do not think the outline is totall correct for a Draped Bust, it is a possibility, since corrosion can distort things.

This might be a coin if I had it, would get a tumble or a brass brush. :o

Don

Don in SJ said:
Well, all nice guesses, so I might as well add mine. I do not think it is a KGI, I have never seen one with a wear pattern like that at all, so I would not consider it a possiblity. I would consider KGIII, since there are so many counterfeits that it makes it a very good possiblity with the bust facing that direction. No way is it a Cartwheel, especially now the finder said smaller in diameter than a Large Cent.

But, those darn Draped Bust Large Cents have a habit of being the worst of the Large Cents for wearing down to almost nothing, so even though I do not think the outline is totall correct for a Draped Bust, it is a possibility, since corrosion can distort things.

This might be a coin if I had it, would get a tumble or a brass brush. :o

Don

I'll bet you a dollar. :D

See the "V" over his head? Well I see a couple of them, maybe one is right. :tongue3:

IP, do you think you see the rim that the KGI have? If I could see it I would go along with you, but it is since I really don't see the rim that I am not saying that. They usually stay intact, but this one is heavily corroded............... :icon_scratch:

Don

OK, OK, after shrinking the photo down to actual coin size I do see the rim, IP is correct, gads, hate to admit that............

Don in SJ said:
OK, OK, after shrinking the photo down to actual coin size I do see the rim, IP is correct, gads, hate to admit that............

:icon_jokercolor:

So, gentlemen......a decision has been made....a KGI for sure????LOL

What does that give it for a date range???

93vector said:

I never really had any doubt... just made it look that way. It's how I bait Don into having to give me kuddos. :D :D :D

1717-1724

Iron Patch said:
93vector said:

I never really had any doubt... just made it look that way. It's how I bait Don into having to give me kuddos. :D :D :D

1717-1724

Ah touche! The coin can be further dated by the weight but most likely by the diameter, the 1717 and 1718 Dump issues were heavier in weight and smaller in diameter. The 1719-1724 are easily distinguished from there earlier Type 1 by those two factors.
So, if you can weigh it in grams or grains, that would be great, but if you have no scale, then measure it the best you can, preferably in millimeters.

Don :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back