What's new

Found broken point in backyard after tilling soil

89geodude

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
2
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, what a wonderful resource this site is. I used to be a member but lost the account info and am starting again. Basic details, I live right outside of Washington DC along the anacostia river. Found this artifact after tilling the garden. I don't know much about points and hope someone can tell me something! Fellow gold prospector here looking to join another treasure hunt!

15570233339995545906021126310599.webp15570234142613866069563696759232.webp
 
Upvote 0
Welcome.That will keep you tending the garden. Hope you didn't hit it.
 
Could it be an Adena or Waubesa? Not sure if you are in the range but that stem looks kinda similar.

Nice Kitty.
 
Can’t help on the point but that is one happy cat!
 
I like your lazy cat! We have 3. Point looks to be made of some kind of quartz?
 
Nice early spring harvest from your garden!
I would suggest it is a Bare Island type point made of local quartzite, dating roughly to the 2000-4000 BC timeframe. I your area those type points were also commonly referred to as Holmes points.
 
Thanks so much, that was very helpful.
 
Hmmm. Maybe think about expanding that garden.

Redbeardrelics nailed the ID.

I’m not in your area, but the point type in the northeast is called Bare Island and the common material is Quartzite. Around the Mid-Atlantic Coastal region the same type is called Holmes. Late Archaic.

Just a helpful suggestion here. Show ALL of the Base when attempting to identify.

I love that yellow Quartzite. Nice artifact!
 
Last edited:
Nice find , doesn’t get much better than finding them in your back yard it may be worth looking around for the rest of it if you till the same area year after year you may have hit the point and broke it the tip may be there still
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom