What's new

Found First Burial Urn Today

slider66

Owner Treasure Coast Metal Detectors
🥇 Charter Member
🛒 Supporting Vendor
Joined
Nov 14, 2013
Messages
1,488
Reaction score
1,989
Golden Thread
0
Location
Treasure Coast Of Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I went to the local beach today for about an hour. The waves were really rough but I went in the water anyway. I had found a few clad pieces when all of a sudden I had a huge hit. I knew the object was big but I figured it was an aluminum can or some other large metal object. I was totally surprise when I dug this out of the water with my scoop. It was an urn with the name Graham on the bottom. I always thought urns were bigger than this. It is about 3 inches tall and 5 inches round. Thanks for looking and have a great weekend everyone.
IMG_1102.webp
 

Attachments

  • photo (2).webp
    photo (2).webp
    52.3 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 0
Now I must say that is a first........ wow.... if my urn washes up.... please throw me back!!! but please add rum first.
 
odd find, but I think it should go back to where it was found...
 
Yea, nice find there slider....I gotta side with those before me, and encourage you to consider returning it to its resting place, maybe a long pier near you will help you get it deep. Its a karma thing, that's all, happy hunting...
 
I agree. I am going to Daytona tomorrow. Maybe I will take it and send it off the end of the pier. I really did not know what it was when I found it until I came home and did some looking around on Google. Putting it back where I found it will only cause it to be found again by someone else detecting or even swimming. I shall send it to a better place tomorrow
 
Good on you! definitely the right thing to do.
 
The Urn has no Karma.....it was the ashes that were inside that did!
 
I'm surprised there is no inscription.
 
Slider, that is quite a find!

I didn't realize that urns were made so small, either.

Wonder what made the seal come undone

Thanks for sharing

Lorraine
 
In general, many memorial industry professionals have adopted the following - easy to remember - rule of thumb:
1 pound of Body Weight = 1 cubic inch of Urn Space (little less)
Example:

  • 175 lbs. person needs an urn with 160 cubic inches (it is ok to have a little extra space in the urn)
  • 200 lbs. person needs an urn with 180 cubic inches
  • 250 lbs. person needs an urn with 230 cubic inches

1 US quart = 57.7500002 cubic inches (approximately the 2.5 X 5 inch urn you found, it would hold a 50 pound being.)

With this information I might think the urn is for a small child or animal.
 
perhaps it was a urn for someone's pet ....looks like threads for a top that woulda kept the contents intact ? Im with Lady Pirate , no bad karma since it's empty !! cool find but somewhat strange
 
never knew people would actually put the urn in the water too!
 
A week has passed and today I found the top. I could not believe it,'. Rough surf and high tone. I dug it and it was in my scoop. Go figure !!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
13a11c2387035eb440f37dbf9bee4663.jpg

Here is the top.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
no telling how that urn got in the water... and if it had ashes to begin with. lets see a picture with the top on ....
you might want to search out some grahams in the opits' i hold with the 50 lb dog theory...
 
Nice seeing you today, funny how items recovered work out like that, found a earring last week and the matching one today, surf was pushing hard in the secondary trough had to stay in the shoreline one down on drunk beach side.

powered by pull tabs
 
The surf was tough today but it's always fun. It was nice to see you today too. Have a great week.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
That's a cool looking find for sure I think I would have been compelled to put it back in the water though
 
Yeah. Leaverite there!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom