What's new

Found in a Creek

eagles9259

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT
I have no idea what this is. It is approximately 5" tall and 5" across. I found it with my metal detector, a couple inches down in a very small creek. I have found things from the CW as well as things from the 50s and 60s in this area. The part that sticks up is (or was) threaded, making it some sort of bolt that you would tighten down. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0311.webp
    DSCN0311.webp
    5.7 KB · Views: 701
It looks like the bottom part that the sink strainer sits in? plumbing related.
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Now that you mention it, it does kind of look like that. But it's much too large to be a sink strainer and much heavier duty.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like part of a strainer from a grease pit in a butcher shop :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a rusted out lawn sprinkler. :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
it once held the fancy glass ashtray from a smoking stand (turned upside down)......NGE
 
Upvote 0
I have seen dampers on wood stoves with that style construction.
 
Upvote 0
Reminds me of the device that is used in a toilet (john, commode, crapper, etc) where the back tank and the toilet meet, used to hold the tank to the toilet, circa 1950 to 1960. Clean water flows thru the opening in the ring; the threaded rod (with wing nut) holds the tank onto the base, and the black rubber donut gasket (missing) keeps the whole thing leak-tight. - JHinPA
 
Upvote 0
Possibly an old radiator cap from a tractor or other large machinery. I couldn't find the exact thing I was looking for but they were cast iron and the screw thing tightened it up by pulling up against flanges on the pipe. Picture might stir somebody's memory.
 

Attachments

  • radiator cap.webp
    radiator cap.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 455
Upvote 0
My first inclination was a radiator cap of some sort also. Monty
 
Upvote 0
ditto on the meat grinder--
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom