Found in a wooded lot among garbage

rob0tfart

Jan 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1kimd3lmw/

Hello! Someone from r/metaldetecting on reddit pointed me to this site. I've only gone treasure hunting a few times and only found some old clorox bottles from the 50's, but today I was merely cleaning up around my property and found something by accident.
The object is heavy, hollow, no apparent threads. It could possibly be cast iron and seems like the object is made up of two pieces of metal. There are 8 straight grooves on the rounded side and the other side has 3 feet and there is a point in the center that extends longer than the feet. There are also what might be 3 vents underneath the tip of each foot.
Someone on reddit said it could possibly be a UXO which has me a little concerned, but it doesn't look like what I would expect to be civil war era. But like I said, I am the noobest of noobs.
I live in a subdivision in the piedmont in the U.S. I was picking up trash in a wooded lot by my house. I found some old glass mountain dew bottles, beer bottles, car parts, and lawn mower parts along with this thing that was in the wet dirt. I've lived in this house for less than a year and the only thing I know about the subdivision is it was made in the late 1980's.
Thank you in advance!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet, you will probably get more replies if you post pictures here, many members don't like clicking outside links.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus your link does not work Welcome to tnet would like to see what you found lots of pretty knowledgeable people on here Tommy

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome , Like A2 said link does not work nearly impossible to ID without pics , very easy to post a pic even screenshot of the item from your other site would post easily from your photo library when creating a topic.

Upvote 0

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's an incense burner. :smileinbox:

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Since I have absolutely no life - I figured I would get the pictures. Like Treasure_Hunter said - many members hate to hit unknown links.

6m9-X5-Ep-Z-94791869.jpg 6s-Cp7vz0-94787402.jpg b-Dt-El-X8-S-94762257.jpg

HRZFG8ne-94928042.jpg LXs-Qq-To-T-94767655.jpg Sb-YYO8-NQ-94783499.jpg

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You beat me to it vpnavy! :laughing7:
Kind of reminds me of an old bicycle bell, it's almost too big for that though.

Dave

Upvote 0

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Incense burner would be a good guess with the legs and air holes on the bottom. The only issues I have is the long pin keeping it from standing on it's legs, and no holes on top to let the smoke out. Real neat find though.

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it reminds me of a mechanical backup alarm form a truck.
they went on the wheel hub and rang a bell when backing.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1kimd3lmw/

Hello! Someone from r/metaldetecting on reddit pointed me to this site. I've only gone treasure hunting a few times and only found some old clorox bottles from the 50's, but today I was merely cleaning up around my property and found something by accident.
The object is heavy, hollow, no apparent threads. It could possibly be cast iron and seems like the object is made up of two pieces of metal. There are 8 straight grooves on the rounded side and the other side has 3 feet and there is a point in the center that extends longer than the feet. There are also what might be 3 vents underneath the tip of each foot.
Someone on reddit said it could possibly be a UXO which has me a little concerned, but it doesn't look like what I would expect to be civil war era. But like I said, I am the noobest of noobs.
I live in a subdivision in the piedmont in the U.S. I was picking up trash in a wooded lot by my house. I found some old glass mountain dew bottles, beer bottles, car parts, and lawn mower parts along with this thing that was in the wet dirt. I've lived in this house for less than a year and the only thing I know about the subdivision is it was made in the late 1980's.
Thank you in advance!

rob0fart, what a curious discovery.:icon_scratch: I agree it appears to be made of 2 separate pieces. Almost as if one was meant to rotate inside the other. I know you said it is hollow, but it would be interesting to clean the gunk out of the 8 straight grooves and look inside from that end. Might find something that helps ID the find further.

Does the point in the center that extends longer than the feet appear to be broken off?

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought looking at it is that it's part of a valve, like a spring loaded pressure valve or blowout valve. I'm picturing it with the "feet" sitting inside a coil spring and the other side sitting in a valve seat and being the direction that pressure would be coming from. But I have no idea if that's even close

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those 3 little feet look like they could fit in another part (missing) that locks it in place. Maybe the center of a 50's/60's after-market hub cap?

Upvote 0

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a close look at the feet... There are notches cut out of each, usually I've seen this in situations where one wants to locate an object within another circular object.
For example on electric stove burners, there is a piece of metal with three arms and a groove cut out that fits in a circular depression on the stove so the burner stays in place on the surface. No idea why the middle section would be long like that though. Very interesting find, either way! Here's hoping our collective wisdom can identify it.
burner.JPG

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
almost looks like an old gas stove insert for the burner