Found in my back yard... Something steel?

Jono

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this chunk about 5 inches in. I gave it a vinegar bath and a scraped off some rust. I wanted to see it so I took a dremel and ground it down to a polish. It's also magnetic. My initial thought is a tooth from a backhoe or something. Please tell me it's not something valuable and I've now damaged it.

20190114_153311-1.jpg 20190114_153230-1.jpg 20190114_153219-1.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cooking pot fragment, wood stove fragment... Hard to say.

Go dig some more bits of it and we'll try again.

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I'm with DCMatt it looks like it might be part of an old cooking stove.

and Welcome to TreasureNet

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to recycle as "metal is money" throw it in with some other scrap iron & get paid. If you want.

Upvote 0

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Good to recycle as "metal is money" throw it in with some other scrap iron & get paid. If you want.

Davers is right. All metal has value .. even rusty junk. I have 5 gallon buckets full of sorted metal found while detecting. Nothing gets thrown in the garbage. It all gets converted to cash. It adds up!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jono

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the replies and the encouragement. I'm still learning the ropes so I appreciate the feedback. I figured it was scrap from my neighborhood's construction. The general area was swampy marsh before they built it in 1998. I have a bin of metal bits, cans, pop-tabs, and bottlecaps I've "discovered" nearby. I see it all as detecting practice for when I can visit some local beaches... and this summer hopefully spend a day in the Vero Beach area (Spanish treasure dreamin').

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread