Found INSIDE tree root!!! 12/29/07

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Well...I am late posting this, but here are my finds from the last hunt me and Mastereagle got to do in 2007. To read Mastereagle take on things click here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,130540.0.html

I had a pretty good hunt despite the cold and hunting with Mastereagle. ;)
It was cold...about 30 degrees and we got a nice hunt in despite the cold. We hunted the place where I had found a civil war bullet and managed a few things.

One of the most interesting things I found was a nickel signal that was eminating from a really large tree root. I had spent 1/2 hour digging around these 3 monsterous roots and finally had Mastereagle come over and verify that the signal I had was indeed inside this root. He started biting and slobbering all over the root and I told him...."Down boy!! Use your pinpointer!" :P He got the message and finally confirmed the signal was indeed inside the limb. I felt kinda bad because he got his white lace bonnet all dirty. ::)

I returned with him to his car and he produced one of every tool made from about 1950 on.........finally locating the tree limb saw, we went back and took the 3" to 4" root with us! Boy, it was hard to get inside the limb, but what do you think I found? Of course.....a ring tab off a soda can!!! Too funny.....but very cool though that it was inside a limb!!

I did however manage two nice finds. I found a 1953/1954 (overstamped) dog tax tag and a 1948 Canadian Penny! I was happy. By the way, Mastereagle found a round ball shot that I feel pretty strongly was a civil war era projectile. We had a nice night.

100_3925.jpg

Anyone know what that copper pierced disk is? Mastereagle thought the end of a bobbin....but that is only because he sews his own dresses. I can tell you it was found next to a place where soldiers hung out all the time during the Civil War. Also...what is the little orange wheel? I assumed it was off a toy train. Any ideas?

100_3928.jpg

If you look, you can see one end of the tab emerging in this picture and where part of the ring was cut across from it.

100_3930.jpg

The other half of this piece of wood.....

100_3931.jpg

Nice coin!

100_3935.jpg

100_3936.jpg

Upvote 0
BB Don't ya just love those tree roots... I had a good signal... and dang if I didnt have a weave of roots, too thick to cut...and it took me like 20 minutes to get to it....deep it was, digging inbetween the roots, but I was determined..and thats when I found my first ( yay me) civil war rosette... so now I dont mind digging round those roots...

I love your postings...puts a big smile on my face here..

bootybay said:
BB Don't ya just love those tree roots... I had a good signal... and dang if I didnt have a weave of roots, too thick to cut...and it took me like 20 minutes to get to it....deep it was, digging inbetween the roots, but I was determined..and thats when I found my first ( yay me) civil war rosette... so now I dont mind digging round those roots...

I love your postings...puts a big smile on my face here..

John Deere Digger said:
tree roots and pull tabs not a good combination. Never seen one in a tree root.
JDD

TreasureTales said:
Pull tab or not, that's an interesting find - a true conversation piece! I'd rather find that than a silver dime...well, depends on the dime's date. LOL

bootybay,
:o Civil War Rosette!! Man! Talk about being worth the tree roots! Maybe I should call my tree root find an "Anheuser Busch Rosette". I think that sounds better. ;) Thanks for the post.

JDD,
Beer and trees are not a good combination either....not just roots and tabs! Hopefully that was the first and last inside a tree root for me. 8)

TreasureTales,
Yeah, I think I will try to figure out a way to preserve the wood with the tab in it. I think it would definetly be cool to hang on to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back