What's new

FOUND LAST EVENING: ARTIFACT OR STONE?

Peyton Manning

Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2012
Messages
15,017
Reaction score
18,979
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not good at pics, I hope they are good enough.
fits nicely in the hand, maybe a scraper?

artifact 008.webpartifact 009.webpartifact 005.webpartifact 004.webp
 
Upvote 0
I do collect hardstone adze and gouges. The tool in question lacks a trough or scoop on the face behind the bit. Therefore, it is an adze. It is not a gouge if it has no channel or trough, of whatever length, on the face of the tool.
it isn't hard to tell the difference between gouge and adze. I don't think, but could be mistaken, that clearer photos will show a trough or channel on that tool. And without one, but with the bit configuration seen, it's got to be an adze, not a gouge. It is an example of an adze, just as the second example here is. Sometimes the channel on a gouge will be quite shallow, but where is it at all in the tool at the center of this thread? Where is the trough if it's a gouge???
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    274.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    267.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    100.8 KB · Views: 80
These tools are easy to interpret as part of a woodworking tool kit. If you consider the interior surface of a dugout will trend concave, and requires a scooped tool like a gouge to scrape/shave. The exterior of a dugout will trend convex, and the bit of an adze, without a channel, works best on a convex trending surface. Of course, making dugout canoes were not the sole job requiring such tools. Here is a good example of an adze with a celtiform shape, beveled sides, and an adze bit. Soon as you see that bit curved like that, you can know the bit was used other then as a straight edge cutting implement.

image.webp
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    97.5 KB · Views: 94
the field where I found this is in walking distance and close enough to carry a cold beer

saw today it is flagged out like they are going to build a house, bummer
 
the field where I found this is in walking distance and close enough to carry a cold beer

saw today it is flagged out like they are going to build a house, bummer


See if they will let you hunt while it's under construction. I have found some nice pieces on house sites.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom