What's new

found my first flood-damaged proof

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Picked up two boxes from a new branch today. I couldn't believe the awful service I was getting there. Last week when I went in to see about ordering some for me, the branch manager said they couldn't do it. So I said 'ok well if you can't, then you can't,' knowing, however, that I order 2 boxes from the same bank, different branch, every week. But she keeps talking, really about nothing, making a big loop back to how they can't get them. I was politely standing there listening while she rambled and she then said she could make some phone calls but they couldn't get them no matter who she called. She kept saying that I would just bring them back and it would cost the bank SOOO much money to have them sit in their vault doing nothing. I told her I just wanted them and wasn't going to bring them back for deposit. Either way I left my name and number and account numbers with her (I have over $10K in this bank, too). So later that day I got a call from her saying they are coming in next week and be here Thurs to pick them up.

So today I go to pick them up, and she sells them to me, and says she can 'never do this again for me' and that 'she got in a lot of trouble with the bank' for doing this and that it 'costs the bank a LOT of money' to get these boxes for me. Wow. I sincerely doubt anything this woman said to me whatsoever. More like she didn't want to deal with 2 boxes of coin. Even banks that do charge customers for boxes of coins charge like $4 or $5 a box.

Anyhow, I won't be going back to that branch for halves.

The first box was a pretty good one, giving out 15 40%ers, a 2005D and this (probably) flood-damaged 1994S clad proof. I tried cleaning it with whisky (I didnt' have any alcohol swabs) but it didnt' do anything to clean it up. Any suggestions?
picture194.jpg


picture195.jpg


Second box only had a 2006D in it. Pretty much a skunk. Oh well, I have 4 boxes to pick up tomorrow, and I won't have any hassles about it either!
 
Upvote 0
If it was ME I would go back next week and order 2 more. I've got a teller at my business bank branch that flat refused to help ME, later I went in and was at the teller next to her, made a deposit and said I wanted to order 2 boxes of halves, should have seen her face get all twisted up and distorted. I used to order a couple boxes every month there just for the comedy even though they get Brinks boxes and they are not nearly as good to ME as the FED boxes I get through Loomis. I keep threatening to go order a couple- could use a laugh, but I have enough trouble dumping $4000+ a week than to get what I know to be $hitty boxes. Now that I think of it your doing the right thing by not getting them there- let her stay in her own little dream world, you gotta confront her about the cost of the boxes- I bet a loss of your 10K would cost more. Then again silence is golden. My business bank is on thin ice so I'm using them as a dump- just waiting for someone to say something. HH Mark
 
Thanks for the response, I figure I'll just keep ordering from my normal sources in which I don't have too much trouble amassing 6 boxes per week. Also I plan on checking out a few more branches within about a 10 mile radius to hopefully pick up one or two more spots to order from without a pain in the a%%. Only problem is it's been pretty tough getting keepers around here...my first box today was decent with 17 keepers but normally I only scrounge about 4 to 5. Although from reading everyone else's posts, that is a lot better than some others who get skunked more frequently than not. Regardless, happy hunting to all!
 
That would be my new dump bank for sure! :) I don't know about cleaning the proof.
 
That proof almost looks like heat damage to me. I sometimes use cleaners made for chrome automotive rims. Mothers is one brand and I have another that works good called Peek. I am not sure if they even make Peek anymore because I bought a case on closeout a few years ago. Stuff works good on silver though.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mich)
 
My advice is for you to send the whiskey to Mark in Colorado. That way he can stay warm all winter piling up all that silver he is finding. Cheers, Jim
 
coolpix9 said:
My advice is for you to send the whiskey to Mark in Colorado. That way he can stay warm all winter piling up all that silver he is finding. Cheers, Jim

haha...funny thing about the whisky is my housemate's mom bought it for him yesterday and it's like one of those real cheap brands, and he thought it was terrible (I didn't mind it all that much), so I figured he wouldn't miss a tiny bit of it. I normally use rubbing alcohol to lightly clean up the proofs I find (gets rid of fingerprints pretty well and light dirt) but I didnt' have any.


Hmmm, automotive wheel cleaner on a coin...can't say I've tried that but it might be worth it on this sorry-looking proof.

Hey the good part was I had not yet found a 1994S, so at least I have another one to fill in my own collection!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom