What's new

Found old ax need help with ID and cleaning??

debbiemi

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this old axe in Upper Michigan around an old mining camp. Any info would be appreciated- Date? Manufacturer? Value? And should I clean it and what would I use. Thanks
Deb
 

Attachments

  • axe head 001.webp
    axe head 001.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 297
  • axe head 005.webp
    axe head 005.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 277
  • axe head 006.webp
    axe head 006.webp
    117.7 KB · Views: 281
  • axe head 007.webp
    axe head 007.webp
    83.9 KB · Views: 283
  • axe head 008.webp
    axe head 008.webp
    60.5 KB · Views: 276

Attachments

  • bgaxe_03.webp
    bgaxe_03.webp
    55.6 KB · Views: 271
  • bgaxe_04.webp
    bgaxe_04.webp
    55.5 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0
Thanks diggummup. I'll try the electrolysis. I appreciate it. It does look like the ones in the picture.
Deb
 
Upvote 0
Hi debbie. If I could give another take on this one; I personally think this head is a wee bit older. The top sheer is straight. There's very little sheer to the bottom either. It is "short and fat". Considering it's length, had it been an axe from the 20's or 30's it would have taken a considerable length of time to be sharpened and re-sharpened to become this size. Yet is is very deteriorated which suggests it was in the ground many years also. As well, the eye itself seems a little too rounded for something later than the 19th century, and there may even be a trace of forging joinery on the tip of the eye nearest the blade. As diggumup said, electolysis will tell you a lot, and when that is complete the key to dating this might be to look carefully at the eye.
 
Upvote 0
i actually found a few of those... but i i through them out.
maybe i will keep it next time.
im more intrested with coins!!! and buttons
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom