found old Jefferson in my beer change :-)

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20130725_211906.png

ForumRunner_20130725_211917.png

Upvote 1
Your lucky you get any change buying a beer lol

Where are you drinking ? Around here beers are rounded off in price by half dollars and dollars
Not Like the old days of .20 drafts

For some reason even as I was growing up in the 70s, the only older coin that you could find in change would be Jefferson nickels. Sure you would get some wheat cents, but there would be far more older nickels. Today you hardly ever see a wheat cent in change, but you can still come across an older nickel. Anyone know why?

My theory is that the older nickel basically looks the same as the newer ones so they are not as easily spotted by people that hoard them. I don't think they are worth more than 5 cents typically, but I guess people still pull them out of circulation as they do with the wheat cents. Or do you guys think they are just slowly getting lost? Do more coins get lost than hoarded? I don't see the copper cents being pulled out of circulation as quickly as you would think. Comments?

I used to be able to spot the older nickels by their "look" but now even the 60s and 70s nickels are starting to look old :( I guess I'm getting old too.

Lets see how many beers you have to buy to find a buffalo nickel , or a silver war nickel ! I tend to save 1940's nickels too - I don't think
they're worth much over 5 cents at this point , but hey ... they are getting pretty old .

Argentium said:
Lets see how many beers you have to buy to find a buffalo nickel , or a silver war nickel ! I tend to save 1940's nickels too - I don't think
they're worth much over 5 cents at this point , but hey ... they are getting pretty old .

You hit it on the head. There not worth anything so people are not hoarding them. Just a nickel in anyone's eyes that aren't into coins.

Not sure if this is really post worthy ???????? How long have you been detecting???:laughing7:

found these in the month I've been living in my new place in beer change... thought It was cool... as far as my my posts being worthy or not if u don't like it simply don't post... if I wanna post a 2013 penny that got hit by train .. I will post what wish :-) thanks for the positive comments :-) much luv

ForumRunner_20130730_165221.png

ForumRunner_20130730_165240.png

I still get the odd '39 Jefferson in change now and then. 130,000,000 minted that year.

I've found a couple of those before... people don't pay attention to those nickels they've looked the same for so long...

You hit it on the head. There not worth anything so people are not hoarding them. Just a nickel in anyone's eyes that aren't into coins.

as I was growing up, I always considered any nickel with a date of 1959 or before to be 'old' and I have always kept every one I got in change. I have countless rolls of 1938-1959 Jefferson nickels. There are a few scattered throughout them that would grade XF or AU including a beautiful near uncirculated 1938, but the rest are probably only worth face value. Oh well, it keeps me looking at my change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back