What's new

found on 1700s home site

jrwill56

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Messages
422
Reaction score
194
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chowan Co.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 2000
White mark 11
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
found this metal detecting on site of old plantation home,1 1/4" across made of brass,very thin,front has 3 circles engraved with dots
outside circle is 1",middle circle is 15/16",inside circle is 5/16".Back appears to have been soldered to something.
 

Attachments

  • whatisit 003.webp
    whatisit 003.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 570
  • whatisit 007.webp
    whatisit 007.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 549
I would say it is a button and the shank was soldered on and is now missing.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
I would say it is a button and the shank was soldered on and is now missing.

Daryl
I'm not sure ,.is so thin it would cut into frabic.about the thickness of the line on my ruler.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah, I thought about that. If it is that sharp it would cause some difficulty. It could still be a button with the bottom part missing and it has been flattened out. It it that thin, flat, and possibly sharp, it may be a decorative piece from horse tack.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
With those designs, it is almost certainly a button. If the solder mark is dead in the center of the side with the designs, then a button it is. I've found many flat buttons--and some are certainly very thin.


I have a good thread going on how to clean buttons. It's in the Cleaning and Preservation section of the forum.


Best Wishes,


Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Yeah, I thought about that. If it is that sharp it would cause some difficulty. It could still be a button with the bottom part missing and it has been flattened out. It it that thin, flat, and possibly sharp, it may be a decorative piece from horse tack.

Daryl
That's what I was thinking,maybe bridle,or saddle JR
 
Upvote 0
Being it is roughly 32mm, that is a no doubt about it, button, mid to late 1700's up to 1800 time frame. I have many that are very thin, and they are also the ones the shanks for the most part are gone.

Don
 
Upvote 0
I have that exact pattern with more lead on the back. For sure a rosette. The front has silver gilt. It's pretty large in diameter to be a button. If the debate goes on, then I will dig mine out of the closet and take a pic. ;D
Dave.
 
Upvote 0
I found a button that looks alot like it. This button is large ,,,, bigger then a quater...
 

Attachments

  • Picture 046.webp
    Picture 046.webp
    113.9 KB · Views: 361
  • Picture 047.webp
    Picture 047.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 372
  • Picture 046.webp
    Picture 046.webp
    113.9 KB · Views: 357
  • Picture 047.webp
    Picture 047.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
Ya, found some big , thin, sharp buttons before at late 1700 / early 1800 sites. Feast yer eyes and look! Ones missing the shank.......
 

Attachments

  • DSC02900.webp
    DSC02900.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC02901.webp
    DSC02901.webp
    11 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom