Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found on JD's Missouri Hunt

This is the item I eyeballed on JD's Missouri hunt that I have never posted. I mentioned it once before but forgot to post it. I found this where a large Union Army was camped for some time during the CW. I never thought much about it and thought maybe it was just an old part of a bottle washer or something, but I ran across it the other day and it got me to wondering. Perhaps it was a cleaning jag for a large bore rifle? Perhaps not. If you don't think it's anything worthwhile I won't be disappointed. The item itself is about 8" long if it was straightened out. I am afraid it will break if straightened. I have included a drawing of how it may have been hooked to a cleaning rod and pulled throught he bore. I have seen similar hook ups used to clean muzzle loading muskets and rifles. No marks or numbers on it anywhere. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Swabbing Jag 001.jpg
    Swabbing Jag 001.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 465
  • Swabbing Jag 002.jpg
    Swabbing Jag 002.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 478

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Found on JD's Missouri Hunt

That's definitely a gun cleaning rod..but for how old it is or for what caliber gun I have no idea.

8 inches long? Not for a rifle, but may very well be for a civil war pistol, like the old Remingtons or 1860 Army type, I believe they have 8-inch barrels.

Nat

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's too big for a pistol, larger than .45 cal and I think most pistols were .44 cal. It's more like .60+ caliber. The ones I have seen for muskets hook on to the end of the ramrod and are pulled through the bore. That would make it necessary to remove the breach plug I think. I don't know if a common trooper would have the tools to do that. Perhaps a post armourer? Just guessing. Monty

Upvote 0

Starbuck

Dec 16, 2006
Browns Summit NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

I don't know how it could have possibly gotten there but it looks just like the rod that goes on a General Motors cruise control vacuum servo. I will see if i can find a picture of it to post. These were used in the 87,88,89 pickups,blazers and suburbans.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I may be wrong but I have never seen a cleaning rod or jag like that.

I was going to say it looks like a carburator linkage part.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Are you thinking it is a cleaning rod extension handle?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guess not since I don't know what a cleaning rod extension handle is? There was an old junked 70s series Pontiac down in the woods some distance from where I found this. I had just dug up a 3 ring minnie ball when I saw this laying on the ground with the wire handle buried and the loop end sticking out. It is ferrous as a magnet will stick to it. The wire handle is threaded and screwed into the loop or jag end. The similar cleaning jags I have seen were only used when there was time to do a thorough cleaning of the weapon as opposed to field cleaning. They were used to thoroughly remove fouling and residue in the breech area of the weapon where ignition occurs. (see drawing) The way it works is first the breech plug of the weapon is unscrewed and removed. The "hook" is screwed into the ramrod and pushed all the way through the bore. A rag or cleaning patch saturated with water or kerosene is pushed through the eye of the loop end. The wire end of the cleaning jag is hooked onto the ramrod and pulled through the bore from the breech end and out through the muzzle. This procedure was repeated until the patch came out clean. The ones I am familiar with were made of brass however if I remember correctly, and the wire end where it attached to the hook on the ramrod was twisted closed. That's what make me think it might not be a cleaning jag. Too much pressure would bend the wire and the hook would pull off. Anyway, it is in my "junque" pile. Monty

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Im sorry Monty. I know now what you are talking about. I use one to clean my gun every year. I must be getting senile. Like you say though, I think it would bend and the jag hole looks a little large for a cleaning rag. I also think muzzleloader jags are different. You never know and its good to save everything until youre sure.

Modern cleaning jag:

Attachments

• MVC-006E.JPG
    MVC-006E.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 260
  • muzzleloader jag.jpg
    muzzleloader jag.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Monty, I went through my gun cleaning stuff and found this..what you found is very similar looking, that's why I was so quick to think it was a firearm accessory..as metioned though, the hole is smaller.

THEROD.jpg

Nat

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That could well be. In that case I am well on my way to opening an auto salvage! Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread