What's new

Found on the 4th of July! My 13 year old son finds a GW Button!

muttandjeeps

Full Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2008
Messages
239
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On this beatiful sunny 4th of July day, my son Sam and I ventured off the beaten path to a foundation in the woods that looked promising. Nothing much seemed to want to be found until I got a small tombac button, as I'm calling out to him that I had a button, he said "me too". I'm sitting there looking at my little dime sized prize, and he starts hyperventilating and mumbling something about George Washington. Sure enough, in his hand was his prize, a GW Inaugural button. I'm sure this is a 4th he'll never forget. Happy 4th of July to all.
 

Attachments

  • P7040086.webp
    P7040086.webp
    73.5 KB · Views: 3,217
  • P7040087.webp
    P7040087.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 3,193
  • P7040091.webp
    P7040091.webp
    59.3 KB · Views: 3,189
  • P7040092.webp
    P7040092.webp
    34 KB · Views: 3,175
Upvote 0
Great find in beautiful condition. Banner all the way!
 
Awesome button and a perfect day to find it :icon_king:

Now you'll knock your other Banner Buttons (1776 No Stamp Act) off. The mods have been rather tight with the Banner selections as of late :icon_scratch: but this should make it :hello2:
 
"To access J. Harold Cobbs collection, and a closeup of 5b, with thatching, just Goggle it. Go to the colored picks and it will be in the 9 o'clock position, to the left of the Liberty Cap Var. Please also note the bottom of the "G" as it is slightly cut off, or straight as is the button just found. Also note the upper flag of "W" is thick. I don't have access to Alberts, but from the Cobb Collection, it IS an exact match. Sorry to disagree but, it is what it is. 5b. P. S. Could someone please send me a pic of the "E" variety in Alberts you're looking at?"

Hogge, thank you for the link to Harold Cobb's collection. To be clear, we were not in disagreement at all. Having not seen the Cobb collection, I simply pointed out this particular variety is not listed in Albert's recorded examples. In addition, we are discussing two diffferent numbering systems, Albert's and Cobbs. Clearly this is a variety of the "GW" button which Albert was not aware of, but which Cobb owned, and which he numbered "5b". As I said in my post, it is a fantastic find. The fact that Albert was not aware of it indicates it to be that much rarer. Incidently, I would send you a scan of Albert's "E" variety, however there is no "E" variety of this button design in the Albert records.
 
Superb find by your son appropriately enough on the 4th of July!

Cobb's numbering system is different from Albert's. Looking in the book it appears to be a WI 11 C or possibly WI 11 B

WI 11 B says: The device with medium spacing , oval is 17.5 x 10.0mm , button 34mm in diameter

WI 11 C says: The device with wide spacing, oval is 17.7 x 9.2mm, button 34mm in diameter

Note: These buttons are believed to be noncontemporary
.


I would suggest measuring the oval and see which one matches. I believe the WI 11 B is the correct one, medium spacing.... Do not know what to make of the "Note" statement. Made when? :dontknow:

Don
 
OOPs. My bad. No "E" var. :-X Cobb #--5b...........Alberts # WI-11c.
 
Don in SJ said:
Superb find by your son appropriately enough on the 4th of July!

Cobb's numbering system is different from Albert's. Looking in the book it appears to be a WI 11 C or possibly WI 11 B

WI 11 B says: The device with medium spacing , oval is 17.5 x 10.0mm , button 34mm in diameter

WI 11 C says: The device with wide spacing, oval is 17.7 x 9.2mm, button 34mm in diameter

Note: These buttons are believed to be noncontemporary
.


I would suggest measuring the oval and see which one matches. I believe the WI 11 B is the correct one, medium spacing....

Do not know what to make of the "Note" statement. Made when? :dontknow:

Don


If noncontemporary, definitely shortly there after. When it's only believed, and the button is obviously old, does it really matter? I doubt it.
 
CONGRADULATIONS . Banner is the smallest part of this to be proud of. Now it's my turn. I hope.
 
Awesome Find, :thumbsup:

Nova Treasure
 
"OOPs. My bad. No "E" var. Cobb #--5b...........Alberts # WI-11c."

No, not Albert's W11c either. Although Albert's W11c does have the wide spacing, it also has a thin top line (flag) on the left arm of the "W". The variety newly found here has a thick flag. This is not a variety of any examples shown in Albert, probably making it all the more scarce despite Cobb having had an example. I regret I haven't learned yet how to post a picture, but I will attempt one soon so you can compare the different examples.

*One more thing; the Albert example that comes closest (WI 11 C) also shows the "GW" almost touching the oval. This newly found example seems to show the GW well within the oval, again confirming it is not an example shown in Alberts.
 
CONGRATS SAM :icon_thumright:

You guys are Hot on those old buttons!! Do you give lessons?

Good find......
Bill
 
Awesome find on any day. To find it on Independence Day is fantastic.
 
"You guys are Hot on those old buttons!! Do you give lessons?"

Sure, Here's Lesson #1

Dig out all those old brass buttons with mud on the back you've never bothered to look at and clean the backs. I absolutely guarantee that if everyone did that we'd be hearing about more "Monroes', Jacksons", Van Burens", and probably a few more valuable unlisted backmarked political buttons within days!
 
If there is a place to have it professionaly cleaned id suggest that. If there is not- IMO, and if it was me, and since folks wont agree, and if it was mine... etc... etc. Id get a ultrasonic cleaner use water only and run it in that for a while but i wouldent put even a tooothpick to it.
If it were mine.


Wow a 13 yr old found this!!!! :icon_thumright: what a Great day for you and Him. :icon_thumleft:
 
HAPPY DANCE BIG TIME !!!!!! BANNER BANNER BANNER.....Congrats now stop messing around and go get a clad penny, I wanna see you top that! LOL.......jgas
 
That is fantastic. Banner for sure.
 
Kevin, you and Sam find some truly fantastic items! Your newest addition doesn't quite fit the 5-b. Time to have the experts weigh in on this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have a (previously) unknown variation!

Picked the perfect day for such a wonderful find! WELL DONE! :wink:

(Mods time to add the 1776 button to the "best of" to make room on the banner for this one. :thumbsup: ;D )
 
I hope that muttandjeeps gets back here and sees what has been posted. I bet him and the son are unaware of the value of this button! Congrats!!!!
 
BANNER 4 sure!!! I love when I am out with my kids and they find kool stuff!! But that find is flat out AWESOME!! WTG :headbang: :notworthy: :hello2:
 
Great find!!! Banner!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom