What's new

Found on the 4th of July! My 13 year old son finds a GW Button!

muttandjeeps

Full Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2008
Messages
239
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On this beatiful sunny 4th of July day, my son Sam and I ventured off the beaten path to a foundation in the woods that looked promising. Nothing much seemed to want to be found until I got a small tombac button, as I'm calling out to him that I had a button, he said "me too". I'm sitting there looking at my little dime sized prize, and he starts hyperventilating and mumbling something about George Washington. Sure enough, in his hand was his prize, a GW Inaugural button. I'm sure this is a 4th he'll never forget. Happy 4th of July to all.
 

Attachments

  • P7040086.webp
    P7040086.webp
    73.5 KB · Views: 3,217
  • P7040087.webp
    P7040087.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 3,193
  • P7040091.webp
    P7040091.webp
    59.3 KB · Views: 3,189
  • P7040092.webp
    P7040092.webp
    34 KB · Views: 3,175
Upvote 0
:thumbsup: an absolutly stunning find ,I'm givin him a banner vote an a happy dance :icon_thumleft:
 

Attachments

  • image006.gif
    image006.gif
    239 KB · Views: 2,527
  • image006.gif
    image006.gif
    239 KB · Views: 2,516
If you look at the Cobb site again, you will see that they show TWO different WI 11 C photos, one with the GW close to the oval edge,(Cobb 5c) like in Alberts book and one that is NOT close to the edge, which is not shown in Alberts book.(Cobb 5b)

Somewhat confusing, even if you go on STACKS past auctions, the WI 11 C is two different buttons. I originally said WI 11 B, because the GW was too close to the edge to be a the C in the Alberts book, however now that I have seen photos on Stacks and relooked at the Cobb site I am fairly certain the button found and the Cobb 5b and WI 11 C are one in the same.It is said it was made out of very soft copper on the Stacks auction and wear can distort and of course on a ground found button, corrosion can distort and hide "tags", but I will say it is not a new variety and it is one of the known GW buttons, and I think WI 11 C now that I have seen those other websites.

Confusing yes, one WI 11 C says Emilio at the end, that is the one pictured in Alberts book with the GW close to the edge of the oval....

http://mosc95.pld.com/kirk/CobbGW/Stacks.Cobb.Catalog/www.stacks.com/catalog/AJan/bw1333.html
 
Don in SJ said:
If you look at the Cobb site again, you will see that they show TWO different WI 11 C photos, one with the GW close to the oval edge,(Cobb 5c) like in Alberts book and one that is NOT close to the edge, which is not shown in Alberts book.(Cobb 5b)

Somewhat confusing, even if you go on STACKS past auctions, the WI 11 C is two different buttons. I originally said WI 11 B, because the GW was too close to the edge to be a the C in the Alberts book, however now that I have seen photos on Stacks and relooked at the Cobb site I am fairly certain the button found and the Cobb 5b and WI 11 C are one in the same.It is said it was made out of very soft copper on the Stacks auction and wear can distort and of course on a ground found button, corrosion can distort and hide "tags", but I will say it is not a new variety and it is one of the known GW buttons, and I think WI 11 C now that I have seen those other websites.

Confusing yes, one WI 11 C says Emilio at the end, that is the one pictured in Alberts book with the GW close to the edge of the oval....

http://mosc95.pld.com/kirk/CobbGW/Stacks.Cobb.Catalog/www.stacks.com/catalog/AJan/bw1333.html

Don, I would love to be able to argue this with you but truth be told, I have little knowledge of these buttons, my comment that it may be a unknown variety was based on nothing more than casual observance of listed material (website pics) and what appeared to me as obvious differences (distance between lettering, cross hatching, etc).

I`ll keep reading, looking and learning and most importantly, listening and promise to temper my enthusiasm on topics I know little about, still going to hold out hope for Kevin and Sam however. :wink:

Nice job to all those who posted links and other info. :thumbsup:
 
One day before or one day after, maybe. On the Fourth, well, Banner, Baby!
 
Don in SJ said:
If you look at the Cobb site again, you will see that they show TWO different WI 11 C photos, one with the GW close to the oval edge,(Cobb 5c) like in Alberts book and one that is NOT close to the edge, which is not shown in Alberts book.(Cobb 5b)

Somewhat confusing, even if you go on STACKS past auctions, the WI 11 C is two different buttons. I originally said WI 11 B, because the GW was too close to the edge to be a the C in the Alberts book, however now that I have seen photos on Stacks and relooked at the Cobb site I am fairly certain the button found and the Cobb 5b and WI 11 C are one in the same.It is said it was made out of very soft copper on the Stacks auction and wear can distort and of course on a ground found button, corrosion can distort and hide "tags", but I will say it is not a new variety and it is one of the known GW buttons, and I think WI 11 C now that I have seen those other websites.

Confusing yes, one WI 11 C says Emilio at the end, that is the one pictured in Alberts book with the GW close to the edge of the oval....

http://mosc95.pld.com/kirk/CobbGW/Stacks.Cobb.Catalog/www.stacks.com/catalog/AJan/bw1333.html
Was a little confusing to me also and was going to mention the EMILIO variety. Seems on this variety the banner ends are horizontal as compared to the WI 11 C, in which the banner ends are at a slight angle. It also says, on the site I am on, that the Emilio variety is made of copper, but the 5b or WI 11c, (non-Emilio var.) is made of brass :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :tongue3:
 
Congrats on your fantastic find! YOu have my vote!
 
could someone give a summarized definition of contemporary vs. non-contemprorary. Thanks for the education gents.
 
Awesome find and history! A big congrats on that amazing find!!! HH, Mike
 
Very nice !! The G.W. Button is a find of a lifetime :icon_thumleft:

I dug an Eagle and star variety of button last year. My best find so far for sure !!


Great to see your on the BANNER !!!


VPR
 
I have to say it... not sure if it's posted above.

Unless you have lots of experience cleaning a button like this any further, leave it. You've already got away with a water rinse which can actually make dug buttons with a green patina worse. I'm sure you are shifted into park on this one, or at least baby step mode, just keep a great find great!
 
"I'm sitting there looking at my little dime sized prize, and he starts hyperventilating and mumbling something about George Washington."

I hate when that happens.


BANNER ALL THE WAY! Congratulations!!!!
 
Awesome Banner congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :headbang:
 
Congrats on a great find! :icon_thumleft:
 
This is a truly remarkable find ~ a stunning beauty. This day in history will be forever remembered. Congrats on the find and the banner :thumbsup:

:wink: RR
 
I noiminated along with alot of others, Im so happy for him that it made banner! :hello2:
 
Sure beats my .83 cents of clad coinage, 3 bottle caps, and a door knob plate I found on the 4th on an old vacant lot that I had high/er hopes for/in recovering better finds ;D

A truly great find (especially for a 13 yr old)!

Congrats and HH

Lonewolfe
 
An incredible find!! Find of a lifetime, really!!!

And to find such a historic button on the 4th of July no less, truly amazing!

Congrats on your banner find!

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom