ring.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,162
  • rin.JPG
    rin.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,143
Upvote 0
WHEW! :D

Am I glad I'm not the only one that doesn't know! ;D

And even more elated that it wasn't another dumb question! ::)

;)

Nana40 said:
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
And even more elated that it wasn't another dumb question!? ?::)
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ;)

i thought it was an AWESOME question;
and thanks for asking it :)

NORTHEAST HUNTER said:
when i get enough scrap gold i plan on having a thick gold ring made from it
H H

Way to go, Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!
Gotta love that old 20/20; huh?
good idea 'bout the ring,,,
but i wanna bangle bracelet :)
Keep Looking Down :)

NICE, gold is so fantastic, its always nice to find, even silver, hey i did the same with some gold i had it melted and made into a thick cross, but the goldsmith only used the high end gold i found, the lesser was not used, as i had more high end gold 18k, here in england our lowest is 9k we dont have 10k and 14k, so for the work he did i let him have all the 9k, and i got my great cross,.

HEY NOODLE!! What did he say???

Been thinking about this and thought I'd bring it back up! ;D

So Noodle....what did he say?

;)

Hi Nana,
Thanks for the reminder! He said... basically what has already been said. If you mix 18k with, say, 10k, you would arrive at a midpoint of 12-14k. BUT, the heat could (depending on the temp) dissipate some of the additives, which would raise the number. Cook it long and high enough and nothing would be left but the gold, making it 24k and extremely soft. He recommended using the better quality and not mixing it with lesser quality. Pay off the jeweler with the lesser quality for the work.

We have some smart folks here. They'd already figured that out!

- Noodle

Thanks Noodle! ;)

14k gold is about 60 percent pure gold (14/24), the rest most likely silver, maybe copper or nickle, but not just impurities :)

10 k isn't be worth the bother to mix, IMO, since it would degrade 14k or higher too much and lessen the value of the whole pile.
I don't think there is a practicle way to get 24k out of an alloy at home, that would be pretty cool.

According to the WORLD GOLD COUNCIL, "Typical mining costs are US $238/troy ounce gold." How do you like that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back