Found some treasure in a book

bassmstr

Jul 20, 2008
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III
Found this book for $1.00 at a yard sale. When researching it I saw it was only worth about $20.00 :( Then upon opening it I realized some kids had drawn in it with pencil and realized it was worth about the dollar I paid. So I put it in the flea market pile and went on working. I found some nice vintage pictures in another book I bought at the same sale so I decided to go back through all the books. I usually do this looking for money that the old timers kept in books. I open the book back up and find that it was one of those books that they carried around to get signatures of commited buyers so that the publishing company would reprint the book. Anyways I start looking at signatures and there are two so far that stand out Vice President to Lincoln Hannibal Hamlin and Secretary Of State James Blaine. I am wondering if this was the original authors book to get such signatures.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 890
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 879
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 887
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 892
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 881
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 862
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 870
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
with those sigs it could be quite valubile to the right person.

steif

Mar 2, 2007
Hi,
I've seen such book before, but not one ever filled out!!
that was a popular job back then, the publishing company sent a sample book to you with the back like this to get people to buy the full book, then you went around door to door or a business like a dry goods store would have such books on display for people to look at.
When the book was full or partially full of subscribers they would send it back to the publisher and get a royalty of every book sold.
That's why I've never seen one filled out..lol.. they all went back to be sold. this one might have been more a autograph book to the former owner.
Anyway, get it looked at by someone that does autographs it could be worth some good money!!
There are always autographs that are relative unknown to me that are worth much money.. ie a scientist, pastor, or minor government official at the time that was unknown then they got famous for something, so there could be very good autographs in there. there are several online autograph dealers that will look and make offers on most all good autographs.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a true treasure find!

It may be one for the Antique Roadshow!

Congratulations!
Neil

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
wow cool find

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
look closer...is it me or do all the signatures have an "R" or "D" beside them...meaning republican or democrat?.......try looking all the names up....may be more famous people there than you first anticipated

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty-Graw said:
look closer...is it me or do all the signatures have an "R" or "D" beside them...meaning republican or democrat?.......try looking all the names up....may be more famous people there than you first anticipated
The column that the letters are in says, "Style Of Binding". The letter you see as a "D" is actually an "L". I would assume that "R" meant regular binding and "L" meant leather binding.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to scan all those autographs, and post online. fantastic piece of history ya got there!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While very interesting I don't think they are autographs. Look at the similarities between Hamlin and Hamilton, they are written in the same hand. Google Hamlin's signature and compare, not even close. Must have been filled in by the carrier of the book and not the people listed.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty-Graw said:
look at the "H" in Hamilton, Hamlinand J.H. Packard....all three look different to me
Looks like Hamlin and Hamilton are written by the same person, that H is just too distinctive. A google image search of Hamlin autographs turns up a lot, and there is no resemblance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread