What's new

Found This In A Roll Today.......

LJ

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I posted a picture of a half that I found that was very worn and didn't think I would ever see one in worse shape until I found this one today in a roll. It is a 40%. With it being so worn it has the copper showing on the rim so I thought I would be pulling out a British penny.

The back has nothing identifiable as you can see.....totally blank. It has seen it's better days. I think this one was tired and ready for retirement....lol.
 

Attachments

  • PC260050.webp
    PC260050.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 995
  • PC260051.webp
    PC260051.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 981
Upvote 0
That's kinda cool LJ.

I'll bet it is fun for you finding anything new in this hobby. :)
 
I saw a dollar like that once,
When I was a kid this old man who was a security guard showed it too me, a flat, blank coin, he told me the year of the coin even though it was gone.
He said it was the first dollar he earned when he was a kid back in like 1920 something.
Kept it on him ever since so he would never be broke.

I wonder if that one has a similar story, something that was with someone for a long time...
 
Those are called "slicks". Magicians love the dollar coins that are like that.
 
Silver is silver - keeper.
A coin that slick should be a seated half!
 
Re: Found This In A Roll Today....... Here is another

LJ, looks like one someone carried for years. My Dad (bless him) carried a 1921 Morgan (his birth date) for so many years it looks like a slug. Here is a picture of the front and back with a good one next to it. All you can see is a light hairline left.
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_39.webp
    ScreenHunter_39.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 709
  • ScreenHunter_40.webp
    ScreenHunter_40.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 696
Re: Found This In A Roll Today....... Here is another

awhitster said:
LJ, looks like one someone carried for years. My Dad (bless him) carried a 1921 Morgan (his birth date) for so many years it looks like a slug. Here is a picture of the front and back with a good one next to it. All you can see is a light hairline left.

Yes, I agree AW. They carried it around a long time.

Any idea how many years your Dad carried that coin? I am just curious how long it takes to get a coin to that condition.
 
Re: Found This In A Roll Today....... Here is another

lejeuene said:
awhitster said:
LJ, looks like one someone carried for years. My Dad (bless him) carried a 1921 Morgan (his birth date) for so many years it looks like a slug. Here is a picture of the front and back with a good one next to it. All you can see is a light hairline left.

Yes, I agree AW. They carried it around a long time.

Any idea how many years your Dad carried that coin? I am just curious how long it takes to get a coin to that condition.
I would have to guess 20 years or so.
 
Lejeuene... That coin is called a "blank planchet" in which the planchet was sent through the press but got very little or no stamping at all. This is a great find as inspectors usually pull these errors out of circulation before the leave the mint. They must have missed that one. I wish I could find some of those! That's a great catch!
 
Hydrantman said:
Lejeuene... That coin is called a "blank planchet" in which the planchet was sent through the press but got very little or no stamping at all. This is a great find as inspectors usually pull these errors out of circulation before the leave the mint. They must have missed that one. I wish I could find some of those! That's a great catch!
It's not a blank planchet... a blank planchet is just that blank, not partially stamped. There are errors that look similar called capped die errors and sometimes a strike through although I've never seen a strike through bad enough to come close to this. This coin was probably a pocket coin like the above mentioned- not an error.
 
I'd vote for pocket coin after seeing my Dad's and knowing how long he carried it.
 
Thats how i clean my clad carry it in my pocket for awhile. Really ::)
 
I found one of those the other day lj....They Have been around , Mine was not as bad as yours but still realy wore.
I just put it back in the bag.

Happy Hunting,
CC
 
Lejeuene... if you dont want it or if you're just gonna throw it away, send it to me, I'll take it from you.
 
Cannonman17 said:
Hydrantman said:
Lejeuene... That coin is called a "blank planchet" in which the planchet was sent through the press but got very little or no stamping at all. This is a great find as inspectors usually pull these errors out of circulation before the leave the mint. They must have missed that one. I wish I could find some of those! That's a great catch!
It's not a blank planchet... a blank planchet is just that blank, not partially stamped. There are errors that look similar called capped die errors and sometimes a strike through although I've never seen a strike through bad enough to come close to this. This coin was probably a pocket coin like the above mentioned- not an error.

CM is right.....it isn't a blank planchet. Like a few others mentioned above it is a pocket coin that someone carried around for a very long time.

It is interesting to find these. It's fun to have for a conversation piece....kinda like the Magician coins.....a novelty.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom