found this in egypt

CKaufman

Jr. Member
Feb 3, 2010
63
9
NC
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250 /tesoro silver sabre umax/
garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was found in northern egypt ten years ago just outside of alexandria. I know it's a medal of the emperor commodus with hygeia on the reverse. I geuss my question is how much is it worth and why were these made? special occasions? I dont know much about the romans.
 

Attachments

  • P1000891.JPG
    P1000891.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 790
  • P1000892.JPG
    P1000892.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 796
  • P1000893.JPG
    P1000893.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 798

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
40,649
44,329
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
26
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
made as souvenirs, not worth much at all :-[
 
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
10,386
2,656
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o

Wow I don't know wether yours is the real deal or not :dontknow: can't tell from pictures :wink: but thes medallions can fetch huge sums of money :o a freind of a freind of mine found one in Lincolnshire UK and it was worth a great deal of money :o
This link will give you an idea, of what they are worth, the one shown has a different reverse to yours :P but the same ruler :thumbsup:

http://coincollectingsupplies.co.uk/top-rated/commodus-medallion-190-191-ad.html

SS
 
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
40,649
44,329
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
26
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CKaufman said:
this was found in northern egypt ten years ago just outside of alexandria. I know it's a medal of the emperor commodus with hygeia on the reverse. I geuss my question is how much is it worth and why were these made? special occasions? I dont know much about the romans.

why did you think hygeia? Was this what you were told?

Its clearly SALVS feeding snake.
 
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
10,386
2,656
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Best to have it checked by an expert, there are plenty of reproductions, yours seems to have some nice features about it :dontknow: but there are no experts on T.Net that can tell you outherwise :thumbsup: best to be safe rather than sorry :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
40,649
44,329
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
26
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS is right, there are no experts on Tnet just good guessers :D
 
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
10,386
2,656
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D

Yes that's why I choose not to guess, especially only when a bar is only missing on the t on antonvins, and not on brits ;D

SS
 
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
40,649
44,329
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
26
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Was you allowed to md in Egypt?

I'm going to guess this was what he was told...
 
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CKaufman

CKaufman

Jr. Member
Feb 3, 2010
63
9
NC
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250 /tesoro silver sabre umax/
garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the T you speak of is there, its just worn but it can be seen at an angle. it wasn't found md'ing, found while digging. can't say much more than that, from what I understand its illegal to take antiquities out of egypt. when it was found it had a lot of patina and/or corrosion on it. it has since been rubbed on certain areas which gives it a bright look only in certain areas.
 
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CKaufman

CKaufman

Jr. Member
Feb 3, 2010
63
9
NC
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250 /tesoro silver sabre umax/
garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
CKaufman said:
this was found in northern egypt ten years ago just outside of alexandria. I know it's a medal of the emperor commodus with hygeia on the reverse. I geuss my question is how much is it worth and why were these made? special occasions? I dont know much about the romans.

why did you think hygeia? Was this what you were told?

Its clearly SALVS feeding snake.
no, I googled commodus medal and found a book that had a pic and exact description word for word.
 
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CKaufman

CKaufman

Jr. Member
Feb 3, 2010
63
9
NC
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250 /tesoro silver sabre umax/
garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
27,000
3,328
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

  • ancient side view.jpg
    ancient side view.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 627
  • ancient side view.jpg
    ancient side view.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 624
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
10,386
2,656
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CKaufman said:
CRUSADER said:
sold as a reproduction.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=751

Easy to tell from a picture as the letters are all wrong & the 't' has no bar on it. m commodvs antoninvs avg pivs brit. Plus the metal looks wrong & the nose & eye looks suss.
I weighed mine and it is 32 gr, not the 21 on this site.
That would be around the correct weight for the real deal, don't rely on the GUESSES ;D have it checked out :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
40,649
44,329
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
26
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CKaufman said:
CRUSADER said:
sold as a reproduction.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=751

Easy to tell from a picture as the letters are all wrong & the 't' has no bar on it. m commodvs antoninvs avg pivs brit. Plus the metal looks wrong & the nose & eye looks suss.
I weighed mine and it is 32 gr, not the 21 on this site.
That would be around the correct weight for the real deal, don't rely on the GUESSES ;D have it checked out :thumbsup:

SS

Don't rely on them, but happy to take your $1000 bet on this one, are you?
 
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
10,386
2,656
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CKaufman said:
CRUSADER said:
sold as a reproduction.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=751

Easy to tell from a picture as the letters are all wrong & the 't' has no bar on it. m commodvs antoninvs avg pivs brit. Plus the metal looks wrong & the nose & eye looks suss.
I weighed mine and it is 32 gr, not the 21 on this site.
That would be around the correct weight for the real deal, don't rely on the GUESSES ;D have it checked out :thumbsup:

SS

Don't rely on them, but happy to take your $1000 bet on this one, are you?
Why are you replying to me :icon_scratch: I'm repling to the poster...butt out >:(
 
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
40,649
44,329
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
26
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CKaufman said:
CRUSADER said:
sold as a reproduction.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=751

Easy to tell from a picture as the letters are all wrong & the 't' has no bar on it. m commodvs antoninvs avg pivs brit. Plus the metal looks wrong & the nose & eye looks suss.
I weighed mine and it is 32 gr, not the 21 on this site.
That would be around the correct weight for the real deal, don't rely on the GUESSES ;D have it checked out :thumbsup:

SS

Don't rely on them, but happy to take your $1000 bet on this one, are you?
Why are you replying to me :icon_scratch: I'm repling to the poster...butt out >:(

I can reply to whoever I like, keep digging.
 
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
10,386
2,656
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CKaufman said:
CRUSADER said:
sold as a reproduction.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=751

Easy to tell from a picture as the letters are all wrong & the 't' has no bar on it. m commodvs antoninvs avg pivs brit. Plus the metal looks wrong & the nose & eye looks suss.
I don't have to keep digging, seing as you are a expert with everything..evrybody can just ask you.
I weighed mine and it is 32 gr, not the 21 on this site.
That would be around the correct weight for the real deal, don't rely on the GUESSES ;D have it checked out :thumbsup:

SS

Don't rely on them, but happy to take your $1000 bet on this one, are you?
Why are you replying to me :icon_scratch: I'm repling to the poster...butt out >:(

I can reply to whoever I like, keep digging.
 
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Top