What's new

found this in egypt

CKaufman

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
63
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250 /tesoro silver sabre umax/
garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was found in northern egypt ten years ago just outside of alexandria. I know it's a medal of the emperor commodus with hygeia on the reverse. I geuss my question is how much is it worth and why were these made? special occasions? I dont know much about the romans.
 

Attachments

  • P1000891.webp
    P1000891.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 820
  • P1000892.webp
    P1000892.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 820
  • P1000893.webp
    P1000893.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 829
bigcypresshunter said:
He has a very pointed nose. Is that supposed to be that way?
If he was woody the wood pecker, yes...
 
Upvote 0
A quick search and I found your pointed nosed emperor. Maybe this is from the same link Cru posted? :dontknow: Dont feel bad CKaufman as you are not the first person fooled by this fake. It sold in 2008 for $75. :o This medallion appears identical right down to the one sided denticals. The weight could be changed by making a thicker casting, which yours appears to be.

What is your diameter in millimeters?

commodus fake.webpcoin souvenir.webpcommodus fake rev.webp

It may have originated out of the Middle East. As to why were these made, its probably souvenir and not fraud. You could look in eBay maybe they will surface. Value is what anyone is willing to pay for this interesting fantasy coin.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
A quick search and I found your pointed nosed emperor. Maybe this is from the same link Cru posted? :dontknow: Dont feel bad CKaufman as you are not the first person fooled by this fake. It sold in 2008 for $75. :o This medallion appears identical right down to the one sided denticals. The weight could be changed by making a thicker casting, which yours appears to be.

What is your diameter in millimeters?





It may have originated out of the Middle East. As to why were these made, its probably souvenir and not fraud. You could look in eBay maybe they will surface. Value is what anyone is willing to pay for this interesting fantasy coin.

It was the link I first posted, but the link has changed since I did it ???
 
Upvote 0
:read2:

There are several diferences on your find to the one posted above, The sharpness of the Obverse for one, and the denticals full circle on the reverse, true the ID is leaning towards the Medallion being a copy, but I would still have it checked out :)

SS
 
Upvote 0
I think the casting mold details are the same but the shapes of the medallions are different. We found this to also be the case with the fake Farley coins.

Has anyone found an example of an authentic Commodus with a pointed nose emperor and Salvs sitting on a commode like seat?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom