Found this in the Peace River, FL ... last week

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not the best specimen, but sure made my day. also found another tooth today in a dredging pit...pics to follow.

anyone need a dive buddy in South Carolina? Me likey black water and mud, me no likey huge charter fees solo. All me friends too whimpy to dive rivers.

any good coprilite ID'ers? got a huge fossilized "cow patty" in my living room...I'm guessing sloth poop?

Attachments

• meg.jpg
    meg.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,067

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hey Lamplighter,

Thats a nice tooth !! The big boy Megalodon !
Speaking of SC i have seen lots of them come out of the Cooper River near Charleston !! I dont dive but some years ago i found about 30 one day in a ditch where they were doing some dredging near Summerville (north of Charleston).

As i said great find !!!

Take Care,

Mike in SC

OP
OP
lamplighter36

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike.

A couple of weeks ago, I found myself driving up 601 (i think) to the Columbia area. At a gas station I met "JT" of sharksteeth.com. What stopped my F150 in it's tracks (and had me put 'er on two wheels) was the site of his trailer with a loaded Meg jaw. Fabricated by fiberglass and about 100 6" pristine meg teeth (tops plus bottoms and reserve rows), this monstrosity was about 5 foot tall and wide.

He said it was on it's way to Spain for a Meuseum. It was the most impressive thing I have ever seen.

Nice to here about your story...my girlfriend thinks (knows) I'm crazy, cause every time I pass a ditch, hole or dirt mound, I slow the truck and stare.
-thomas

diverwannabe

Apr 1, 2006
Poulsbo, WA
I live in Charleston, and I have never took a charter to find teeth since I am in the navy, but I would be willing to try it. I find most of my teeth in ditches but they aren't that big. Still nice tho

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome lamplighter 36,I've never been to the Peace river this time of year,how was the water level?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sloth poop in your living room, huh? :D

That tooth is a very nice find LL!

:)

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
Sloth poop in your living room, huh? :D

That tooth is a very nice find LL!

You beat me to it Nana - the only thing I have to add is... "and you still have a girlfriend??"

J

jd161616

Anybody know any decent places around charleston to dig/sift for teeth...I tried at dorchester creek and found 3 decent sized teeth (1-2.5 inches) but other than that I'm not really familiar with the area or what to look for

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
:o Nice find in the Peace River. Can I ask what part? I am from and look in the Arcadia area.. Where's a good spot tp look?
Any hints would behelpful, to a newbe.

OP
OP
lamplighter36

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this north of arcadia, near wachula. the thing with the peace is, its loaded. there is no secret place...though some areas are worked more than others...new stuff always turns up. what man does in a year- nature can do in a week. my opinion. stay north of punta gorda and south of Lake hancock and you should be ok. found this tooth while smoking a cig....standing upright....looking at my feet in the worst area imaginable (broken TV sets, dolls, beer cans, etc. etc.) just goes to show ya.

check out my next post....fixed a meg tooth. I also fixed the one refered to in this post.

good luck and email me. [email protected]
regards,
thomas

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
megladon teeth over rated.

Kidding.

I hunt for fossil turtles on SC beaches. Get some little teeth too, nuthin too exciting.

Next time I'm down that way I'll go swimming with ya...besides I wanna see the sloth poo and the girlee that puts up with sloth poo.

OP
OP
lamplighter36

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're welcome anytime Diamond....

got more stuff than megs. and, no im not meg crazy.

i have a wide range stuff. petrified wood, poop, bones, couple artifacts way too many rocks and crystals. mostly florida stuff.

drop me a line if you're in the area. we'll have a beer or ten.
-thomas

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just 10 huh? you some kinda light weight? :)

sounds like fun bro, oh yeah nice fossil there too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread