Found Today. Any ideas what it might be?

chelvt

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[ IMG_20200305_155759.jpg

It's about the size of a quarter. I live in New England and I'm pretty sure I'm on an 1800s homestead where I have also found some buckles and clasps a button and a sleigh bell as well. But this has me stumped.

Last edited:

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A close up zoom, at least two of the points appear to have nail holes (now rust filled), and the very center appears to be long broken off. These lead me to think it is most likely part of an antique door/drawer pull that would have had a ring through a loop on from the center.

Something like this:
drawer pull.jpg

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pictures of both sides and a side angle with a coin or something for reference will help in figuring it out

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - So, Welcome Aboard! Considering "New England" consists of six states - you might consider (in alphabetical order) browsing Sub-Forum: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont for information directly related whichever state you actually live in...

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first thought was a pocket watch winder key, but it's too big for that? :icon_scratch:
I like CC's theory of it being a drawer pull... looks to be made of pewter or spelter.
Welcome to Tnet from Toronto chelvt! :hello:
Dave

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This is one "Ring"...you want to "Drop"!

A close up zoom, at least two of the points appear to have nail holes (now rust filled), and the very center appears to be long broken off. These lead me to think it is most likely part of an antique door/drawer pull that would have had a ring through a loop on from the center.

Something like this:
View attachment 1808351

Chelvt...Welcome to the Show!

I too believe it is part of a... Drop Ring Draw Pull.

Drawer Pull Ring.jpg

On the back there may have originally been a center bolt to attach this item to the draw.

The two outer posts would have been attached to the Ring with the center post as a stopping plate used to protect the wood and to facilitate pulling the ring.

It appears to be wrought iron and not too ornate so I do not think it would have been used on any high grade furnishings.

As it is not made from Bronze or Copper...I would estimate that it is Old...maybe 18th Century!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chelvt

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20200307_070136.jpg IMG_20200307_070131.jpg IMG_20200307_070111.jpg IMG_20200307_070119.jpg
Here are a few more pics

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What a fascinating little trinket .., I have no idea what it is, but it sure is thought provoking. I like it!

I want to say it is a balance wheel for something, but the question is for what? Seems too hefty to be for a clock, but maybe for some type of toy or something? Anyhow, it is a very cool little relic, regardless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread