Found under the farmhouse / Introduction

McGarnacle

Greenie
Feb 16, 2007
The best damn pet store in town.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Greetings. I've been lurking here for a few weeks and decided that I should finally introduce myself. My father introduced me to MDing when I was younger, we would hunt farm fields around Antietam and Harpers Ferry. Found a few coins, bullets and mini balls, but eventually lost interest as a teen. Flash forward to a few weeks ago when I met our neighbor the cache hunter and after a few stories he has renewed my interest in TH and MDing. We went under the family farmhouse last weekend to dig around the fireplaces. The house was built in 1829 and has been through three families. Found a pottery marble (?) and a broken plate that looks like it was used to cook. Both were about eight inched under the soil. Also found eleven metal coffee cans filled with glass marbles inside under a stairwell. There's two other fireplaces that we are hoping to get to before it gets to warm, but we have to dig out way over to that end of the house.

Attachments

• farm07-02-00-1.jpg
    farm07-02-00-1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,690
  • farm07-02-00-2.jpg
    farm07-02-00-2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,692
  • marble002.jpg
    marble002.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,332
  • marbles001.jpg
    marbles001.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,310
Upvote 0
Howdy McGarnacle, welcome to TreasureNet. It's great to have you aboard!

WOW!! 11 coffee cans filled with marbles, cool. Some of those marbles might be real collectibles. Are the coffee cans in good shape? We wanna see the cans of marbles and the cans themselves, please. If you've been lurking for awhile, you know we like LOTS of photos. LOL

Great finds...That looks like an old pie baking dish....And Yes ...More pics...House ...land ...underthe house....hahaha ...we want it all :)

Welcome aboard McGarnacle! Love the plate and marble, I'm sure it made alot of tummies happy in its hay day.

Keep us posted, we love to drool :P

Thanks for the kinds words all. Then coffee cans are in pretty good shape with little rust on some. I'll post some pics of the marbles when I get out of my cube and get home. On the very left of the pic you can make out some loose stones that we used to gain access to the crawl space under the house.

edited to add additional pics. these are about 2.5 yrs old.

Welcome, & nice finds

Fossis................

Hey McGarnacle, looks like you could use some help at that site, when are you going to invite us over to help you detect it? LOL Man, that looks very promising. I'm so drooling. slurp slurp slurp

Nice redware pie plate,Old marbles are worth a lot,11 cans wow!.I sold one friut jar full last year for $225.00.Your yard is just crying to be detected.Built in 1829,What coins did the builders drop?
Good Hunting
Oh and welcome from another TNF newbie

Welcome to the forum and WOW, cans full of marbles may be worth some $$.
Also that plate looks very old indeed almost like black pottery from the 1700's. We gotta see some pics of the cans and marbles ;D

Welcome
WOuld love to see pictures of the marbles, Im a marble nut from way back and like was said earlier some can be worth a great deal. I would be glad to give ya my 2 cents if i can help identify any.

Yep, you got us all drooling here, lol!!!....Very nice finds and I bet you load up on goodies

Sweet...

Love finding marbles but would truly enjoy 11 coffee cans of marbles, and looks like some goodies there as well!! Super finds and congrats!!

Judging from how old those coffee cans are you got some nice old marbles there, heck even the coffee cans will be worth something.

Marbles are machine made alot by peltier, from what I can see.. Peltiers date from the early 1920's on. The ones i see arent tremendously valuable but seperated into lots in the right auction you should do pretty well.

Marbles and cans, oh my!! I really like the cans, they are indeed in great shape. The marbles are so colorful, I'd hate to part with them. I'd put them in a big clear glass jar - like an old pickle jar - and put them where the light can shine through them, a sunny spot would be perfect. Just my dream scenario if I'd found those beauties.
Here's a marble site for you to learn about your new possessions. http://www.marblealan.com/my.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back