What's new

Franklin Mint Knife? Silver and other stuff on beach today.

Smoogle

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Messages
814
Reaction score
262
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Coast NSW.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beep and dig learning continues...I think I did ok today? The knife was the best find - it has Franklin Mint collector knives on the handle ????( I looked up their website but could not find anything like it)??? the Key is stamped 925, the rest is all junk collateral.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2486.webp
    IMG_2486.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 684
Upvote 0
Well done, that is a good looking knife :icon_thumleft:
 
Nice Find!
Franklin Mint items are well made but extremely overpriced :wink:
 
I researched the knife it is a "Thundering Indian Spirit" or such....apparently one of few issues produced by the Franklin mint that actually have a real blade... looks like it is missing two pieces of rectangular Turqouise at either end of the eagle (mint example ebay pic compared) - there is glue residue in the two gaps where the blue stones were seated - one small turquoise stone is in the body of the eagle + it seems to be flaking a claer layer?. Oh well...it is not perfect but I found it in the first shovel for the target- probably about 4 inches - happy anyway the blade is perfect ;D Any suggestions on how to remove the sand grit from within the blade rotation (base) ....I've hosed it etc but although it has a really smooth action I can still feel a little bit of abrasive when I fold it?
 
Granted, Franklin Mint items were overpriced at the time (with silver hovered around $5 per oz. for over 20 years--with the exception of the Hunt Brothers spike in 1980-ish). Then, the FM stuff my parents bought was selling for between $25 and $30 per oz. Today, at around $40, that investment doesn't look quite so bad.
Don....
 
I am taking it that this knife is stainless steel not Silver - please clarify this if you know about this series or edition of knives? I feel lucky.....but most Noobs probably do?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom